No. of Recommendations: 7
My question is what is the tax rate on interest generated from a bond? (not a muni) My concern is it taxed at ordinary income? Thanks.

In a taxable account, all fixed-income/bond investments, other than munis, are taxed at your marginal federal tax rate (tax bracket). That would include CDs, Money Markets, Treasuries and TIPS, Mortgage Securities, Corporate Bonds, etc.

Treasuries and TIPS, and in some states, some Government Agency bonds are exempt from state and local income taxes.

US Savings Bonds (EE- and I-bonds) are not taxed until you cash them in (or they mature), unless you choose otherwise, at which point they are taxed at your marginal rate at that time. This allows for compounding before paying taxes and, if you are in a lower bracket when you cash them in (e.g., after retirement), you would end up paying less in taxes than if taxed annually. Unfortunately, the yields on US Savings Bonds have become so uncompetitive, this tax advantage no longer is sufficient to make this a good option, as it was a few years ago.

Incidentally, with TIPS the inflation adjustment is taxed every year at your marginal rate. As far as we know (or probably the IRS knows), if there is deflation, you don't get to subtract that from your taxes (but our opportunity to find out this spring, after CPI-U was way down from the fall gas surge, got undermined by the new gas surge).
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.