Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
[[My questions is, what documents am I required to submit with my 1040 &

Carefully read the instructions and you'll find out what you are required to attach. All of the rest of it you simply keep for your records, and do not attach to the tax return.

[[ Obviously my W-2's. ]]


[[Do I also send in copies of all of my
1099-DIV's? What about the mortgage interest.]]

Nope to both...

[[ Do I send in the form the bank
sent me showing how much I piad? Do I also send copies of the notices from
church & United Way, showing how much I've given this year.]]

Nope to both again...

[[ Or, are some of
those things that I just need to hold onto, in case I"m audited?]]

Basically correct. Again, read the instructions carefully. You'll find that, generally, other than W-2 forms and 1099R forms with federal withholding, nothing else (with respect to forms) is required to be attached to the tax return.

TMF Taxes
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.