Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: galeno Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19257  
Subject: My Retirement Portfolio Date: 10/27/2000 4:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
My retirement portfolio looks like this:

20% Laddered cash portfolio (6 years of living expenses)
80% MI stock portfolio

The MI stock portfolio looks like this:

25% Key100 (1-4) annual
25% PEG (1-4) semi-annual
25% RS13/RS26 Overlap (1-3) quarterly
25% PEG13/PEGRSW Overlap (1-3) monthly
Gross CAGR=60 (Net CAGR=55) GSD=29 Sharp Ratio=1.08 TER=1.61 (Net TER=1.29) The portfolio has 9 to 14 stocks depending on overlaps between screens.

I sell 3% of the value of the stock portfolio on the first Friday of the new year and add it to the cash portfolio. I then divide the cash portfolio total by 72 (six years) and that's our monthly draw for the year.

Any suggestions or critisisims?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: middlearth Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5430 of 19257
Subject: Re: My Retirement Portfolio Date: 10/27/2000 4:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
>>The MI stock portfolio looks like this:
25% Key100 (1-4) annual
25% PEG (1-4) semi-annual
25% RS13/RS26 Overlap (1-3) quarterly
25% PEG13/PEGRSW Overlap (1-3) monthly
Gross CAGR=60 (Net CAGR=55) GSD=29 Sharp Ratio=1.08 TER=1.61 (Net TER=1.29) The portfolio has 9 to 14 stocks depending on overlaps
between screens.<<

Could you define these terms for those of us that are less "acronym-friendly", please? Thanks.
Eddie

Author: NYMOM One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5432 of 19257
Subject: Re: My Retirement Portfolio Date: 10/27/2000 6:21 PM
Since you probably created this portfolio by dollar cost averaging, I would do the reverse in withdrawing. Instead of selling all 3% at the beginning of the year, I might divide that 3% into 3 or 4 parts and sell thru the year.

Author: rjm1 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5433 of 19257
Subject: Re: My Retirement Portfolio Date: 10/27/2000 7:42 PM
Recommendations: 1
I sell 3% of the value of the stock portfolio on the first Friday of the new year and add it to the cash portfolio. I then
divide the cash portfolio total by 72 (six years) and that's our monthly draw for the year.

Any suggestions or critisisims?

I think the 6 years of living expenses should let you skip selling in a down market. If the market is down for a year or two do not sell.

Also I would deceide what to sell then put limit orders in that are 5 or 10% (or what ever) over the market price. Eventualy the stuff should sell. The point is you are not forced to sell so you can waite for a good price.

For example price all the stock you want to sell on the first Friday at 10% over Thursday's closing price and see what happens.

Author: galeno Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5440 of 19257
Subject: Re: My Retirement Portfolio Date: 10/29/2000 8:43 PM
rjm1 wrote:
I think the 6 years of living expenses should let you skip selling in a down market. If the market is down for a year or two do not sell.

Also I would deceide what to sell then put limit orders in that are 5 or 10% (or what ever) over the market price. Eventualy the stuff should sell. The point is you are not forced to sell so you can waite for a good price.

For example price all the stock you want to sell on the first Friday at 10% over Thursday's closing price and see what happens.

This is a great idea. I'm going to think about it. Thanks.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement