No. of Recommendations: 2
My risk tolerance is higher than most but even going into the 2000 popping of the tech bubble I was only 85% stocks. Between the market action and my own tweaks I'm down to 68% stocks, although my target is 70%. I'm retired and live on IRA withdrawals, Social Security, and a modest amount of interest and dividends.

Recovered nicely after 2000 and 9/11 downturns. 2008 crisis hit me much harder but I've recovered much of that too. In hindsight I wish I'd sold it all June 30 last summer and it's starting to look like this year will be a repeat but started early.

If I knew what was going to happen Europe I'd be able to give specific advice. For me a disproportionate part of this year's decline has come from international positions. I'm still bullish on America and American stocks. (Love anything with a solid balance sheet and good dividends.) I expect a bumpy ride well into next year.

Politically I have no hope Congress will do anything (Democrats, Republicans or Tea Party) until the gun is at their head. That uncertainty is riling markets and it will get worse as the end of the year approaches. We need compromise and none of the players are willing to do it. Slash and burn is pushing Europe into a recession. We don't need to go there but we can't continue on our current path either.

Americans and American businesses are amazingly adaptable and I still believe we will somehow stumble through this. I just don't know exactly how or when. So adjust your portfolio so you can sleep at night and hold on for dear life.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement