UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: tktrimbath Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10561  
Subject: my semi annual review of the Economy and Markets Date: 6/30/2011 4:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
INTRO Here's my semi-annual exercise to see if I remember why I own the stocks I own, and so I can check back and see if their stories have changed. I include the economy and markets to check my perception of the bigger picture. I post in case it helps others too.

Economy & Markets
The economy and markets are improving, though the recovery is uneven and seems to be disproportionally directed to benefiting upper management instead of hiring employees or raising non-management salaries. Psychologically many people continue to react as if they are in the midst of the internet bubble and post 9/11 era, just like some people lived for decades as if they were in the midst of the 1930s and fighting the Great Depression. The implications of financial indiscretions, and sometimes crimes, have yet to fully resolve themselves; but most of that impact is abstract (not part of the manufactured goods economy) and the game of the "elite". Real world concerns, food, housing, health care, education continue despite debates because people's lives must continue. I continue to think that the markets and the economy will return to "normal" but in new ways, with old technologies and archaic institutions fading to be replaced with new tech, sometimes low tech, and new lifestyles that will redefine institutions and organizations. Unfortunately, calls for tax cuts amidst record debts point out the disconnect between ideology and reality. I am a long term optimist and believe that reality will be recognized and accommodated eventually, though the longer the delay the greater the disruption.
(I've also collected links to the other discussion boards and my other stocks over on my blog trimbathcreative.wordpress.com)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement