No. of Recommendations: 0
My SIL just listed their home in the Philadelphia area. The husband found the realtor, who is new at the job. So far she has: listed their townhome as a stand-alone single family, used pictures of the interior taken before it was cleaned up, put the wrong date in the listing for an Open House (5 people showed up but were sent away), and used comps from the neighborhood from single family homes with yards to justify the price of a row house without property.

OY! Please insist on viewing the MLS listing for errors/approval before it is posted!

Please also note that what a Realtor does is dependent on area. Looked at buying property in North NJ and was stunned at how little Realtors did. They were effectively tour guides that unlocked the house and let you in. Purchase and sales agreements were subject to lawyer review and were not binding until this was completed. I was an agent in the Philly burbs and because it is such a litigious area, there is little an agent is supposed to tell you in fear of being sued. We are trained to provide a source from which you can make a decision, not make suggestions. Give you the data and suggest a range of pricing, not tell you what price to set. "Be the source of the source, not the source," is literally what is drilled in to us. It's what drove me out of the industry. IMO a Realtor's value is in their advice, not putting you on the MLS and I did not want a career in which I had to be constantly protecting myself. People have been sued for setting too high a price, too low a price, etc. You get sued just because you can be, not because you do something wrong. Had one client tell me she was going to sue the listing agent and sellers because they misrepresented the property, which I was able to diffuse by telling her where the information was to be found re complaints on the 5 inspections that were done, (4 of which I was able to get done for her for free when the home inspection flagged issues.) It's telling that I also had to insist she read and understand the paperwork and not just "trust me." Clearly she never did. Her lawyer would have included me in the lawsuit regardless of culpability, and my insurance would probably have paid out regardless of culpability, my rates gone up.

It's a hard job, the largest part of which is managing fear that comes with a commitment such a large change.

IP,
who could go on and on with stories
Print the post  

Announcements

Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement