No. of Recommendations: 1
My situation is similar and I am looking for a way into a lower interest rate. My home equity loan is at 11.8% and with the drop in my home's value, my combined LTV is too high to refi as far as I can tell.

What is your combined LTV? Is the LTV too high to refi because you are more than the 80% - 90% current guidelines for refinancing? Or is it because your house value has dropped significantly so you are more than 105% LTV?

The reason I ask is because the new mortgage plan (details to be announce March 4) is supposed to allow homeowners who are slightly underwater (105% LTV) to refi.

Do I have any options of getting out from under this loan and into something with a similar payment but a lower interest rate, or do I have to be resigned to keep this crappy loan until I get enough equity back in the house to refinance it?

Well, other options would be dependent on your cash flow, and what type of loan your home equity loan is. You probably won't get a better rate on an unsecured loan than you have on the secured loan, unless you are playing the BT game. Do you have the credit to be able to do that? And if your current secured loan is a Home Equity Loan, rather than a LOC, you generally have to pay the entire loan off, or you will still have to make the monthly payments, so just balance transferring part of the balance won't do you a lot of good.

AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement