No. of Recommendations: 1
My strategy was to teach my children well and to give professionals I work with permission to contact my son should they feel I am making questionable decisions. The same son also has a general POA and my health care POA and we've discussed what each of us wants(because I am his health care person as well.)

Nice start, but not at all impeachable. Sis and I had POA for our folks as well, which Dad revoked in a moment of paranoia, (a not uncommon symptom of Alzheimers as well.) When we approached Dad's health care provider with our concerns about Dad's mania, (Sis had health care POA,) he told us that was sometimes a side effect of being under anesthesia for long periods of time. He admitted that Dad would no doubt be making some unhinged decisions in the coming months, (boy I could fill many posts with his actions following surgery,) but was in no way going to qualify as legally incompetent. We could not protect him from himself. We finally had to protect Mom from Dad by getting her declared incompetent and gong to court for custody of Mom, which Sis was given. So the court recognized Dad was not capable of caring for Mom, his wife of 60 years, but because he knew what year it was and who was POTUS, he was not declared incompetent.

Yes, I know this is yet another slippery slope, but believe me when I say that no matter how rational you think you are now, there is no guarantee of how you will behave later as the physical and emotional stresses of aging take over. In addition some states with their filial responsibility laws will first prevent you from keeping your parents from putting their finances in jeopardy, then give you the bill for their care after they have made themselves insolvent.

I don't have answers...only a need for them.

IP
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement