UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: spl241 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 756402  
Subject: My Take On Rukeyser's Sacking Date: 3/25/2002 9:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 12
I guess this is as appropriate a board as any to post this. Just got off Yahoo and saw that Maryland Public TV officially sacked him, the ostensible reason being the remarks he made on his (last) show last Friday. Now for a short personal perspective about this...

W$W was a small part of things I considered as R grows closer. As with the magazines I take and the time spent on TMF, it was a chip in the mosaic of advice to consider: to accept, to reject, to regard as a stimulus to do my own due diligence. That alone made it worth my while, I thought.

Okay, so the guy's 69 and silver-haired and the show's format was singularly predictable from week to week. I say, "So what?" The revolving appearance of panelists never bored me, either. I only wish the market was as predictable as the show that lasted three decades while discussing it.

I thought that sometime, somehow, LR would slip: give a stock tip, allude to what must be his enormous personal wealth, show a preference of any kind. Never. His objectivity was admirable.

In this day and age of "impermanent everything," it was nice to know that on Friday nights on PBS, permanence ruled. A creature of habit myself, I rather liked the monologue, the 3 short interviews, the special guests' remarks, and Uncle Lou's, "This has been Wall Street Week. I'm Louis Rukeyser <wink>. Good night."

Good night yourself, Lou. Hope to see you on CNBC, which is supposedly after you. Your hair vs. Kernan's, your wry passivity vs. Cramer's half-shouts, your age vs. Faber's. Oughta' be interesting. Good luck. I'm going to miss you.

This has been my post on the REHP board. I'm spl241. Good night.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ataloss Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64175 of 756402
Subject: Re: My Take On Rukeyser's Sacking Date: 3/26/2002 8:55 AM
Recommendations: 2
If your contract is not being renewed I would think that the constructive thing to do would be to look quietly for another network. Criticizing managment on air is a sure way to be "fired."

Author: venny Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64179 of 756402
Subject: Re: My Take On Rukeyser's Sacking Date: 3/26/2002 10:36 AM
Recommendations: 1
ataloss comments: "If your contract is not being renewed I would think that the constructive thing to do would be to look quietly for another network. Criticizing managment on air is a sure way to be "fired.""

Right on ataloss. This turns out to be another dispute among prima donnas who cannot stand nor do they want to be removed from the silver screen. Refer to Letterman/Koppel. Ru. needs to visit the REHP and seriously consider retirement. He does not fall into the irreplaceable category. All of the silver foxes (Rather, Koppel, Brokaw,etc.) must face the music eventually.

Yes, I agree with the integrity and quality of the program. Time marches on and changes take place. I also am not surprised at the ineptness of mangement for handling the occurrence. Arrogance always prevails at this level. Do we the readers & viewers know all the facts?

venny

Author: gurdison Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64188 of 756402
Subject: Re: My Take On Rukeyser's Sacking Date: 3/26/2002 1:14 PM
Recommendations: 9
<If your contract is not being renewed I would think that the constructive thing to do would be to look quietly for another network. Criticizing managment on air is a sure way to be "fired.">

Under the circumstances I am sure LR would prefer being fired after publicly expressing his feelings rather than meekly keeping quiet and going away after his contract expired in June. If he had just quit on the spot, he could have been subjected to a breach of contract suit.

I have been a fan of his show for many years and an avid reader of his newsletter. The thing I like best about his style is that there is never any hype. It is well reasoned, educational and done with enough wit and good humor. I can't say that I have always followed his or his guests advice. However, like the REHP, it has offered me good alternatives to consider. It has been part of the input into making larger financial decisions.

If MPT wanted to create a new Fox-like show designed for a much younger audience with shorter attention spans, they should have done it as a stand alone project. There is more than enough room for another financial program on PBS. Trying to force LR into a minor role in a radically altered format was stupid. If they truely wanted to go in a new direction, they should have just announced they would not renew his contract. This is just another case of corporate stupidity showing its ugly face.

BRG

Author: ataloss Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64194 of 756402
Subject: Re: My Take On Rukeyser's Sacking Date: 3/26/2002 4:01 PM
Recommendations: 0
Under the circumstances I am sure LR would prefer being fired after publicly expressing his feelings rather than meekly keeping quiet and going away after his contract expired in June.

most broadcasters probably would have strung him along until a summer hiatus for "planning" then told him to hit the road.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64206 of 756402
Subject: Re: My Take On Rukeyser's Sacking Date: 3/26/2002 6:42 PM
"If your contract is not being renewed I would think that the constructive thing to do would be to look quietly for another network. Criticizing managment on air is a sure way to be "fired."

You should hear David Letterman talk about the "big boys" at CBS. And, hardly a week goes by where Letterman doesn't make a joke about how old the people who watch CBS are. I don't know how he gets away with it but he makes fun of CBS almost every week. - Art

Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64211 of 756402
Subject: Re: My Take On Rukeyser's Sacking Date: 3/27/2002 12:21 AM
Recommendations: 4
I've been wondering how all the PBS locals around the country feel about this. They've lined up "sponsors" for WSW, which has now either disappeared with Lou's firing or will be a much different program. I don't imagine they are too thrilled with MPT's actions.

I've already e-mailed WTTW in Chicago asking them to carry any new program Lou decides to offer. I've been a long-time supporter of the station and I think WSW is one of their stronger programs among donors.

Author: Commodore64 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64239 of 756402
Subject: Re: My Take On Rukeyser's Sacking Date: 3/27/2002 12:24 PM
"This is just another case of corporate stupidity showing its ugly face. "

Its even worse- its government funded stupidity- run, in part, on your tax dollars...

Author: dgbartholomew One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64244 of 756402
Subject: Re: My Take On Rukeyser's Sacking Date: 3/27/2002 1:13 PM
You should hear David Letterman talk about the "big boys" at CBS. And, hardly a week goes by where Letterman doesn't make a joke about how old the people who watch CBS are. I don't know how he gets away with it but he makes fun of CBS almost every week.

I can see it happening... if John McLaughlin can make the move, why not Letterman.

"Late Night with David Letterman on PBS is sponsored by the generosity of Viewers Like You."

Author: ataloss Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64292 of 756402
Subject: Re: My Take On Rukeyser's Sacking Date: 3/28/2002 6:16 AM
I don't know how he gets away with it but he makes fun of CBS almost every week.

maybe being a comedian and staying away from discussing the details of negotiations with cbs has something to do with it

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement