Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 9
My trust is a Personal Asset Trust, (or PAT).

Just in case old Dobbin has a breath left in him, here goes.

At least two Fools have posted links to descriptions of PATs, and I googled another. I find it interesting that all, each from a different law firm, use exactly the same verbiage to showcase the whiz-bang-wow factor of this instrument which hardly any lawyers know about. Call me a cynic, but

Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!

I am no doubt prejudiced from spending too much time debunking tax scams which "nobody knows about but us," but borrowing from Peter's advice about types of investments, I'd be leery of anything my own attorney couldn't explain to me.

Why should you care? Well, you can't figure out what your tax responsibilities are as trustee until you figure out the nature of the beast you're trustee of. The only thing I feel comfortable saying at the moment is that IRS is going to be looking for a 1041 from the trust if more than $600 of income is reported under its EIN.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.