Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: PaulEA One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121592  
Subject: Re: Gift (update) Date: 8/20/2001 7:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My two cents is that you have a sale of the property and you are going to have to pay the tax on your portion. The courts gave you some type of interest in the property if not tenants in common a remainder interest. If you didn't have an interest why would your signature be required to sell the property. My thought would be a gift happened at the time of the divorce because you now have an interest in that property without paying for it. In my opinion, there is no doubt a gift happened but the question is when was there a gift? If a gift occured before the sale you pay the tax and if after the sale someone else will pay the tax.

Below is the definition of a gift. I don't see a gratutious transfer happening after the sale. You are getting the money because you are legally entitled to it because of gift prior to the sale.

Regulation 25.251-1(c) The gift tax also applies to gifts indirectly made. Thus, any transaction in which an interest in property is gratuitously passed or conferred upon another, regardless of the means or device employed, constitutes a gift subject to tax.

The IRS doesn't have to follow legal title. If local law states you have an ownership interest, the IRS will follow that or if the IRS believes there is assignment of income to the father, it will use the form over substance doctrine to reallocate the income.

I would follow the CPA's advice on this one.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement