Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
My Uncle, when he was 90, sold his house and moved into such a place. There was a 'buy in'.....likely what he got for the house which was 80 years old at the time.

There were two buildings - this is Salisbury NC. One had 'apartments' that you paid a monthly fee depending upon size. For that, you got 2 meals a day in the cafeteria. You had a small kitchenette in your unit, and once a week cleaning was included. I think it was 3-4 stories. I visited him once there. Had heated pool, and other activities. They had shuttle buses to doctors and shopping.

The other building was 'nursing care' - if you couldn't take care of yourself.

This was a fairly 'urban' small city environment. You never had to leave the place - or could ride the shuttle to activities (guess they ran to senior center as well) -

He was there 4 years. Last 3 months went downhill and moved to the other building at age 94. Oldest one on my family tree by nearly a decade. He was the runt of the family - thin, not too tall. Survived 2 years in German POW camp. Ate highly veggie diet, minimal meat.

There's a Del Webb community in TX down at Georgetown, I think

t.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement