Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
My understanding is that had I paid this tax through withholding throughout the year or even as quaterly tax payments in 2001, I would not be subject to AMT. Is this correct?

Had you paid it, through withholding or estimated tax payments, during 2001 it wouldn't be giving you AMT headaches for 2002. (Whether it would have been a problem for 2001 I don't know.)

Lots of people with high state tax bills run into AMT problems since state taxes aren't a deduction under AMT. Lumping a large 2001 balance due with your 2002 ordinary withholding didn't help your situation.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.