Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
My understanding was that U.S. citizens as well as Resident Aliens have to pay U.S. income taxes no matter where in the world they live

Only amounts over $80,000 are subject to US tax. I don't need that amount for ER. There is talk about the US revoking the $80K exemption, but personally I don't believe it will happen as most of the beneficiaries are employees of oil companies working in the Middle East. I just have a feeling that oil companies have quite a lot of weight with the current administration.

Also, one needs to look at the proposed country of residence. There are many tax treaties between nations that exempt certain types of income from dual taxation. The US/UK treaty is pretty fair.

Anyhow, I'm not a US resident alien (for immigration purposes; obviously I am for tax purposes). At the current rate of processing, I should get my green card in 10.5 years, so there's nothing to worry about there! :D

AlienBeastie

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement