UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: FlippoHip Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 883903  
Subject: My usual "gift giving" rant Date: 12/10/2012 9:21 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
From an article on MSN entitled "Holiday Gift Giving Ps & Qs.

Problem : No Gift to Give

Sometimes you’ll receive a gift from someone you weren’t expecting to give something to. If the individual is a neighbor or coworker, and you haven’t distributed gifts to others yet, be sure to include him or her when you’re doling out goodies. If it’s too late, whip up a batch of festive cookies or pick up some moderately priced, but nicely packaged, wine or coffee to give in return.

Isn't that just perpetuating the problem? If you didn't get them anything, maybe it's because they didn't make it on to your list...because they aren't family or a close friend. I am so tired of Christmas meaning everyone I come in contact with gets a gift. Why am I spending money on people I don't actually hang around with? My usual response is to thank them graciously, tell them I am sorry that didn't get them anything and then drop it and hope they don't try again next Christmas. I hate being put on the spot like that. I think this type of mindless "I don't know you well enough to know what you like, but here...have a gift assortment of 'jelly's of the world'" serves anyone’s best interest.

I will concede that last Christmas (my first Christmas in my new neighborhood) I was taken aback when several neighbors brought over cookies or lumpia or sausage balls. I had nothing to give. This year I will return the favor by cooking brownies or cupcakes or something and handing them out. It seems to be a tradition in this neighborhood, and that's OK. It was everyone in the cul-de-sac and now I understand that's just what they do. I don't have to play, but I like them and I love the friendliness of the neighborhood. The co-worker, kids dance teacher, kids friends parents, hairdresser, lawn-guy, cousins girlfriend, etc.. thing just irks me though.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mylan Transitioning from Generics
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement