UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75376  
Subject: Re: Retirement & the HealthCare Question Date: 6/4/2012 10:20 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My wife and I are 61, almost 62. We both left our respective businesses over 10 years ago in favor of working part-time via the consulting route. We both went from group coverage to purchasing private health insurance through Blue Cross of NC. When you first purchase BC coverage, they set your premium based on your existing health issues, but after that, you move in tandem with everyone else regardless of whether you have more or less problems than everyone else. The premium changes are based on passing age milestones like 55 and 60. So, after you buy the insurance, it really doesn't matter whether you have major health issues or not in terms of your premiums. Today, my wife and I each pay $10K per year in basic premiums, with each of us having a $2.5K deductible, and with each of us having a $2K co-insurance. Our premiums will continue to rise as we move towards 65, but the big jump took place when we passed 60. Bottom line: Private health insurance cost of fortune, so your state subsidized coverage is probably a great deal. Now, whether that will hold true in the future is anyone's guess, since the taxpayers are tiring of paying so much for retired public workers. Good luck.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Future, or What's Left of It
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement