Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 6
My wife and I are about to purchase a home and my parents are going to help with the down payment. On the IRS site, I read that a person can gift any other person tax free up to $10000. The way I intrepret it is that my Dad can give me $10K and my mom can give me $10K and then repeat the procedure on my wife this way we can have up to $40K for OUR down payment and there are no tax headaches. Also, my wife and I file jointly as do my parents.

My questions are:
1. Are there any forms that need to be filed with the IRS and from whom?

2. Since we both file jointly can my interpretation above hold?

=== === ===
1) No, as long as it is $10K or less per person from each parent, as per your plan.
2) Yes.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.