UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: aj485 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75698  
Subject: Re: VZ - hold or sell? Date: 10/10/2013 11:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
My wife and I have about $30K worth of VZ which was inherited and sitting in an account at Computershare. It's doubled in value since 2005 as we're reinvesting the dividend, and as between jobs at the time, we're looking at possibly selling this as cashflow for the next few months.

Question is, since it's just been sitting there anyway - is it better to let it set another 15 years until retirement or pull $$ out of a different source, which are:

$180K in mutual funds at Vangard
$150K in HELOC credit at variable which is now 4.25%

I would say that you should not borrow to fund current living expenses while you have no income and assets in taxable accounts that are available to sell, so I would cross off borrowing from the HELOC as an option at this point.

I would also ask what percentage the VZ is of your overall investment portfolio, including 401(k)s, 403(b)s, IRAs, etc.? If it's more than 5% of your total invested assets, I would say that you are running a large single stock risk, and should probably be looking to sell this stock anyway. (It's about 14% of the $210k in assets you show, so unless assets in accounts that you aren't showing are at least $390k, it's over 5% of your total investment portfolio.)

Whatever assets you choose to sell, be sure that you set aside money to pay any taxes that you will incur, before you start spending any of the money from the sale of those assets. If you have been out of work for a while, and have a relatively low income so far this year, this might be a good time to sell highly appreciated assets anyway, as you may get a significantly lower tax rate. You may also want to look at making conversions from traditional accounts to Roth accounts this year, if it's a low income year, so you can take advantage of lower tax rates.

AJ
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Back to the Future Buffalo Wild Wings
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement