Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
My wife and I were married in the summer of this year. She completed the necessaery name change paperwork with the social security office, but some of our year end documents have her maiden name on them. We renewed her vehicle registration in March before the marriage, so the registration has her maiden name on it. Also, she changed jobs in March, prior to the wedding, so the W-2 from the first employer has her maiden name on it. Do we need to include a copy of our marriage license or anything so that the IRS can verify her maiden and current last name belong to the same person?

The only thing you must do is make sure that the name that your wife uses on her(your) tax return matches the name on file with the SSA. Don't include anything with your tax return that the IRS hasn't asked for. Mismatches on 1099s, W2s, etc. won't be a major problem.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.