Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
[[My wife has a small business, and last year hired a baby sitter to watch the children in order for her to travel to customers to conduct business. This doesn't
sounds like a Child Care (Form 2441) deduction, but seems like a legitimate business expense. Any ideas?]]

My wife is the sole proprietor, so I report her business income on a Schedule C. Because of a big hit with depreciation, she'll claim a loss this year. (Understand why I want to shy away from Form 2441?)

Without a profit, I can't claim the expense on Form 2441. But it was a legitimate expense that allowed her to earn (potential) income. Can I write off the childcare as a miscellaneous business expense?

Thanks for the help.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.