Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My wife has had a full-time job in accounting for many years. In 1999 she decided to take real-estate classes and get her license (which she did). She signed up with an agency, had a couple of open houses, then decided to transfer her license to the state holding agency since she wasn't quite ready to jump in. She is still paying fees and taking additional training to keep this certification and is still working in accounting full time to this day.

My question is, can we deduct her expenses for real estate training and business costs associated with this endeavor even though she is in hiatus? And, what IRS form(s)are required?

The courses taken in order to meet the minimum requirements for a new trade or profession would not be deductible.

Once the requirements are met and she was licensed then her costs associated with the open houses, etc would be deductible on schedule C.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.