Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
My wife left her last employer about a year ago. Her balance in her 401K was so small (about $1500 or so) that they paid the amount, less some taxes, to her in the form of a check.

Can I deposit this into a traditional IRA or ROTH IRA account?

Not any more you can't. The time limit for rolling it into a traditional IRA was 60 days from the issuance of the check. (If, by chance, you're within that 60-day period, check Publications 575 and 590 for rollover information.)

All this was explained in the paperwork no one read when she left the job.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.