No. of Recommendations: 6
My wife's bank charges her a big fat fee for overdrawing her account, but only if the balance is still negative at midnight.

Last Sunday my wife had miscalculated her balance, and used her debit card at a local supermarket. When she got home, she checked her balance and found out it was below 0.

This has happened once or twice before, and she just ran over to her bank and deposited some cash.

You realize that all this can be avoided by simply not skating so close to the wire, don't you?

My wife figured all this out decades ago, when we were paycheck-to-paycheck. Just reset the "zero" balance to $100, so when your checkbook shows $10 your account actually has $110.

No muss, no fuss, no need to rush to the bank to cover a rubber check.

Anyway, your scheme won't continue to work. Used to be that you had easilt 3-4 days to cover a check, before it hit your bank. My kids found that convenient, to float a check for free. Not anymore.
Nowdays checks almost always get there the next day.

Not to mention debit cards which take the momey out immediately. The only reason you have until midnight is that your bank has decided to let you get away with it. Eventually some bright-eyed jr banker will point out all the money they are leaving on the table, and they'll start dinging an overdraft fee the instant you go negative.

But as I wrote above, this most recent occurrence was on a Sunday, when her bank was closed.

I sent the email with Square Cash, and 30 seconds later her bank's website showed the deposit.

Until one day when it doesn't. Or when the bank decides to not credit your account until the next business day. Or when there is a network outage.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement