No. of Recommendations: 0
I moved into my current house May 2002. The house is in Wake Forest, NC, and the spring/summer/early fall of 2002 was very dry in this area. When I moved in, parts of the yard very hard and cracked, with little grass growing. The house is new construction, so there was no established yard. I figured, well, I can deal with a hard and cracked yard, and this fall once it starts raining and moistens up, I can aerate, fertilize, seed, etc... The problem, once we had the first big rain, the yard has stayed muddy ever since. If there is not standing water (always very shallow, more like a very wet look) then it is mushy. I have laid down a lot of seed, etc... and there is some new grass growing, but part of the yard is also sandy, and so I am not sure if grass is ever going to grow well in those spots.

The yard is high in the backyard, then slopes down to where the house is sitting, in kind of a levelled out area, and then the yard slopes down some more to the road. Many houses on this road have hugely inclined driveways, but mine is not too extreme, because my house sits down lower than the neighboring homes.

My questions & thoughts (here's where I am hoping someone with experience can comment)

If I get a good yard of grass growing, will that soak up this extra rain, or will the roots from the grass help the yard to better absorb the water?

Because my house is down lower than my two neighbors, is that going to give me all of their runoff?

I have got a couple of those underground drains running around the house, do I need to get more of them installed in the yard?

Should I stop with these assumptions since I admit I have low yard knowledge and defer to a landscape expert?

Here is a shot of the yard from the top of the back yard:

http://www.zerisdev.com/individual/steve/newhouse%20015.jpg

Here's a shot from the road:

http://www.zerisdev.com/individual/steve/newhouse%20018.jpg

In these shots, you can kind of see the "bowl" that the house sits down in. Is this "bowl" the problem? Does the builder need to take some intro grading classes?

Thanks for any and all feedback and advice

Steve
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement