UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 745860  
Subject: Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and early retirement Date: 3/19/2000 10:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Here's some links to more info on the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator.

TypeLogic - this web site lists the personality traits of all 16 types.

http://www.typelogic.com/

Association for Psychological Type - professional organization for people who work in this field of study.

http://www.aptcentral.org/

A study to determine which personality type is most likely to be a successful "early retiree" might make a good dissertation for somebody.

intercst
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Buoy Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6409 of 745860
Subject: Re: Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and early retire Date: 3/19/2000 10:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Are ISTPs likely to regard Myers-Briggs Type Indicators as akin to goat entrails and tea leaves?

If not, then I apparently buck the ISTP trend.

Bob Vesterman.

Author: bubbabill Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6446 of 745860
Subject: Re: Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and early retire Date: 3/20/2000 4:40 AM

1.ISTJ

2.C [hopefully in two years]

By the way,what is Mensa?

Bill

Author: cmorford Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6460 of 745860
Subject: Re: Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and early retire Date: 3/20/2000 8:04 AM
BubbaBill asked:
By the way,what is Mensa?

Well Bill, Mensa is an organization (really just a club...) for people whos IQs test in the top 2% of the population as a whole. Just about any recognized IQ test can be used...

Some people might think we're a little snobbish for even joining a club with membership requirements like ours, but really we're just in it for the puns....

And, believe it or not, hanging around a bunch of egghead nerds can actually be fun....

Picture this: 12 Mensans loaded into 2 VW micro-busses, carreening around the Yucatan peninsula for a week, checking out Mayan ruins and exploring caves....It was a blast! (Mostly...)

Chuck

Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6473 of 745860
Subject: Re: Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and early retire Date: 3/20/2000 9:23 AM
Mensa is an organization (really just a club...) for people whos IQs test in the top 2% of the
population as a whole. Just about any recognized IQ test can be used...

Just out of curiosity, what is the lowest acceptable IQ for this?

InParadise, who probably just flunked the entrance exam by not knowing the answer to that question.

Author: cmorford Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6481 of 745860
Subject: Re: Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and early retire Date: 3/20/2000 9:53 AM
InParadise asked:
Just out of curiosity, what is the lowest acceptable IQ for this?

Well, because it's a percentage the IQ cut-off shifts as the IQ of the general population shifts (For better or Worse)...
But if I recall correctly, the cut-off was around 132 when I joined, back in the 80's....

<Big Head>
And there is a sub-group of Mensans who score in the top 1%...Myself included...
</Big Head>

Chuck
Bragging about how smart I am since 1902 :)
(And I'm humble too...)

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6482 of 745860
Subject: Re: Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and early retire Date: 3/20/2000 10:02 AM
cmorford wrote,

Well Bill, Mensa is an organization (really just a club...) for people whos IQs test in the top 2% of the population as a whole. Just about any recognized IQ test can be used...

I don't remember taking an IQ test, but what is the minimim SAT score for MENSA membership?

Just asking, I'm sure I'm a few IQ points short. <grin>

intercst

Author: dory36 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6484 of 745860
Subject: Re: Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and early retire Date: 3/20/2000 10:10 AM
InParadise wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what is the lowest acceptable IQ for (Mensa)?

Ahh, that would make it too easy! As it turns out, a 145 on one test (Cattell) is not as high as a 132 on another (Stanford Binet). So each test has a different score. See http://www.us.mensa.org/information/scores.html for a list of what they accept without review; they will also evaluate other tests, I am pretty sure.

Note that the SAT used to be acceptable. They changed the test, and it's not acceptable anymore. But for most RE people, an SAT taken before 1/31/94 at 1250, or before 9/30/74 at 1300, qualifies. (Surely there aren't many REs who took the SAT after 1994!) GRE, LSAT, and many other academic tests are listed.

For another test that many of us (mid-century elders) took automatically, the Army GCT test was sufficiently correlated with IQ tests to be acceptable, and a score of 136 works. The Army changed the test, and tests after 10/80 are not considered as valid IQ tests anymore.

Take a look at http://www.us.mensa.org/ for more info.

Dory36

Author: cmorford Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6486 of 745860
Subject: Re: Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and early retire Date: 3/20/2000 10:12 AM
Recommendations: 1
I'm not sure...But I don't think Mensa accepts SAT as a valid test
anymore...Not since the 70's or so...I could be wrong...

I don't remember which test I took....

I doubt you're short any points...And anyway, it's just a big nerd social
club...Kinda like the Internet!

Chuck

Author: dory36 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6494 of 745860
Subject: Re: Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and early retire Date: 3/20/2000 10:47 AM
Oops -- my response to InParadise might be misleading. I wrote "Note that the SAT used to be acceptable." among other "use to be" entries.

These "use to be" dates refer to when you took the test, not when you apply for Mensa. An old old test is fine.

Dory36

Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6500 of 745860
Subject: Re: Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and early retire Date: 3/20/2000 11:32 AM
I guess I'm not bright enough for Mensa. I can't remember what the heck my SAT scores were!

EE GADS! What a complicated aproval process. Thanks, but I'm looking to simplify my life currently.

My IQ scores are from around 3rd grade. Do they tend to vary over the years?

Sorry for getting so off track of the subject, but it is interesting, (to me any how.)

Author: dory36 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6504 of 745860
Subject: Re: Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and early retire Date: 3/20/2000 11:57 AM
EE GADS! What a complicated aproval process. Thanks, but I'm looking to simplify my life currently.

My IQ scores are from around 3rd grade. Do they tend to vary over the years?

Sorry if I made it seem complicated. It's not. Take any standardized test results you may have, and see if it qualifies. Or take one of their tests. That's all there is to it.

I believe IQ is supposed to be fairly stable, but the measurement gets better with age. So a test of a 9 year old might get results that are much less reliable than those for a test on an adult.

Dory36

Author: rjstanford Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6506 of 745860
Subject: Re: Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and early retire Date: 3/20/2000 12:08 PM
I believe IQ is supposed to be fairly stable, but the measurement gets better with age. So a test of a 9 year old might get results that are much less reliable than those for a test on an adult.

This assumes a real IQ test. If you took one test which gave you a score, that's not a good measure (it may qualify you, but its not too accurate). That's because tests tend to measure a bell-curve.

For a full IQ measurement, you will generally be given a series of tests getting increasingly harder. Once you've scored between 40-60% accurate (don't know exact numbers), that number can be indexed to the specific test to give you an IQ figure.

One off lucky-guesses and stupid-mistakes have a disproportionate effect on your score if you're at either end of the scale that a specific test measures. By targeting a narrow range and retesting if you score out of that range (high or low) an accurate answer may be obtained.

IQ is age-indexed, btw. An IQ of 100 basically says that you're expected to do as well on an IQ test as others of your age. Your problem-solving abilities are therefore expected to go up with age if you want to maintain the same official IQ scores (not an unreasonable indexing, IMO).

Author: tvsotelo Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6798 of 745860
Subject: Re: Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and early retire Date: 3/23/2000 2:47 PM
Recommendations: 2
IQ is age-indexed, btw. An IQ of 100 basically says that you're expected to do as well on an IQ test as others of your age. Your problem-solving abilities are therefore expected to go up with age if you want to maintain the same official IQ scores (not an unreasonable indexing, IMO).

That's too bad. I'm pretty sure I'm getting dumber as I get older. This does not bode well, as I am turning 26 next week, and thus have many years of declining intellect to look forward to. Plus, I've taken to ending sentences with prepositions. Bad sign.

tvsotelo

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement