UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: HelicalZz Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Coverage Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 8713  
Subject: Re: Tax implications Dividend Growth Investing Date: 7/18/2006 10:12 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
nabhaskaar

Currently, qualified dividends are taxed at 15% which is the same as long term capital gains (for most people). Philosophically, this is a wash but there are practical differences such as controlling when the tax is paid. If you reinvest dividends into a taxable account, the taxes will need to be accounted for. Non-qualified companies like REITs are best held in tax advantaged accounts if practical in my opinion.

I have not read Jeremy Siegel's books but I expect he addresses this issue along the way to making a case for tried and true dividend paying companies. The subject is addressing in 'Investing Fables' by Aswath Damodaran, but the book went to press prior to the tax change. He found a small advantage for dividend paying securities under the old system but states in the book that the then pending decreased tax rate may well tilt the scale more to their favor.

As for Warren, while BRK has not paid a dividend, he has not discouraged Coke from a policy of increased dividend payout while on the board. He was outspoken in opposition to the recent the Bush tax changes including the dividend policy feeling they were too favorable to the wealthy.

ZzF
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Motley Fool Income Investor
Are you a dividend-savvy investor? Check out our Income Investor newsletter.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement