Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: xraymd Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25820  
Subject: Re: Relative eBay newbie hopes for help Date: 10/7/2002 11:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Name brands mean something to some people but not to others. If the people to whom it matters don't search for your items during your auction, are you prepared to sell them for a very low amount?

Remember, people will be looking for bargains on eBay. You'll be competing with the local thrift store, Goodwill store, yard sales, etc. And at those locations, the customer can touch and maybe try on the item before purchasing.

Greetings, ShelbyBoy, you are quite correct about name brands meaning something to some of the people some of the time! I agree that there are bargain-hunters and, actually, the bulk of what I would hope to sell would be directed towards the bargain shopper (I am one as well!) and attractively priced. I'm thinking about making my bargain auctions "free shipping" and starting their prices commensurate with estimated shipping costs (taking weight and packing into consideration) already included. The books I've sold on half.com were the lowest priced ones in their quality class, so when I am ready to "move out the merchandise" I am quite willing to cut the price to the bone. This strategy would apply in particular to the more commonplace and inexpensive items (nonetheless in excellent condition) that I might wish to place for sale on eBay.

That said, there is still a category of shopper who is looking less for a steal than for a rare find (granted, a rare find at a steal is the holy grail). The very few "name brand" (i.e. high end designer) items I would offer for sale would be marketed not so much on rock-bottom price but on scarcity (as indeed some of these items are). I've looked around a little to determine that eBay is indeed an appropriate venue for certain of these items (primarily clothing) but agree that certain other items may be best sold through a local specialty dealer who specifically handles items like mine for sale at higher price points. To be sure, some of these items CAN be found on eBay but when it comes to verifying authenticity, for instance, it seems a lot easier to put the item in the hands of the local dealer who has the means to separately authenticate these items. I think it could be a hell of a hassle trying to be certain to satisfy a sight-unseen buyer on eBay who would be putting up (in some instances) a lot of money and who, understandably, would wish to be sure of the pedigree of a significant purchase. Better to do the transaction locally in this case.

xraymd

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Name of the Game: Tax Avoidance
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement