Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thought of another random question re: taxes.

Hubby died in October of 2009, which means I will file as single this year.

During the year, I paid for some things like real estate taxes and mortgage and the like which should be deductible. My husband was the only one on the mortgage and the house during our marriage.

The entities sending things like real estate tax receipts and mortgage interest tax papers have my husband's name on the documents. I can show things like cancelled checks to substantiate that I paid them.

As I understand it, I should not have a problem deducting this stuff because I am the one who actually paid it, even if my late husband's name is on the receipt. Am i understanding this right?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.