UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2141  
Subject: Name This Musical Instrument Date: 3/7/2008 4:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
There's a guy at the BART station lately who's playing a musical instrument I have never seen.

It looks like a miniature pirate ship, kind of, without the sails. The "prow" of the ship has a (wooden) head sticking out of it, kind of like a knob.

The stern of the ship has a crank handle on it.

It has strings strung across the deck over a big hole in the center of the deck.

It is held with the bottom of the boat against the guy's stomach while he is sitting down, prow on his left and stern on his right. He turns the crank while manipulating some little keys -- more like upside-down wooden trumpet keys -- that are to one side of the strings. When the instrument is held sideways, the keys are underneath the strings.

It sounds like an Irish instruments, in that the music he is playing sounds like music that you'd hear when someone is doing a jig.

The crank seems to make a droning sound like a bagpipe.

I'd ask the guy, but he's busy playing it and making a living and I'm usually rushing to work when I pass him.

Go ahead. Give it a try.

Extra points for linking to a photo of it.

MOI
Print the post Back To Top
Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2123 of 2141
Subject: Re: Name This Musical Instrument Date: 3/7/2008 6:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hurdy Gurdy?

http://www.hotpipes.com/hgdemo.html

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2124 of 2141
Subject: Re: Name This Musical Instrument Date: 3/7/2008 7:02 PM
Recommendations: 1
Hurdy Gurdy?

http://www.hotpipes.com/hgdemo.html

Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding!!!!!

Give this man a kewpie doll!

Thanks. I'd heard the name but never saw one before.

Author: SRHCB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2125 of 2141
Subject: Re: Name This Musical Instrument Date: 3/7/2008 7:50 PM
http://www.lyricsdepot.com/donovan/hurdy-gurdy-man.html

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2126 of 2141
Subject: Re: Name This Musical Instrument Date: 3/7/2008 8:43 PM
http://www.lyricsdepot.com/donovan/hurdy-gurdy-man.html

Yes, I know the song. I've had it running around my head ever since I learned what the instrument was.

Somehow, this song does not evoke pictures of that instrument at all, even though I've now seen one.

MOI

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2127 of 2141
Subject: Re: Name This Musical Instrument Date: 3/7/2008 8:45 PM
It's funny. Based on the dictionary definition, I'd always pictured a hurdy-gurdy as that square box with the crank on the side that the guy with the monkey played, like in the original movie Heidi. I never saw nor heard nor heard of these exotic versions.

I'm in awe.

MOI

Author: SRHCB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2128 of 2141
Subject: Re: Name This Musical Instrument Date: 3/7/2008 8:46 PM
RE: MOI: "this song does not evoke pictures of that instrument at all"

I always pictured the hurdy gurdy as being that cranked box-on-a-stick played by a gypsie with a monkey?

SB (maybe smoked too many banana peels?)

Author: SRHCB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2129 of 2141
Subject: Re: Name This Musical Instrument Date: 3/7/2008 8:50 PM
33.000+ hurdy gurdy pics:

http://tinyurl.com/2eazya

Many gypsies & monkeys included!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement