UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: blford Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 16442  
Subject: NameCheap Date: 7/25/2012 11:33 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I left GoDaddy for NameCheap based on a rec on this board and am happy that I did. When it's time to renew a domain name registration, I don't have to jump through a bunch of "stuff" and change the registration period from 2 years to 1 year as 1 year is the default choice on renewal periods with NameCheap.

A coupla clicks from the e-mail reminder and I'm done.

Sooo much easier...

Bill
Print the post Back To Top
Author: stockmover Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16295 of 16442
Subject: Re: NameCheap Date: 7/26/2012 1:28 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hey "ole cool beans"

Thanks for the info Bill. NameCheap is much cheaper than GoDaddy . Unfortunately, I recently renewed my domain registration with GD for 2 years (a dollar short and a day late as usual) (lol) Does NC also include a secured email addy in their price ... for future reference?

Take care buddy,

Rich
Arizona

Author: blford Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16296 of 16442
Subject: Re: NameCheap Date: 7/26/2012 10:00 AM
Hey Rich,

Does NC also include a secured email addy in their price ...

I just started using them, but I believe they do. However, mejayroberts (who recced NC to us a while back) and Radish may know more about services offered since they've been using NC longer than I.

Bill

Author: Radish Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16297 of 16442
Subject: Re: NameCheap Date: 7/26/2012 5:48 PM
However, mejayroberts (who recced NC to us a while back) and Radish may know more about services offered since they've been using NC longer than I.

I'm pretty happy with namecheap. Their email servers seem to go down for a few minutes most days around midnight, but other than that the service has been reliable and the company/website is easy to work with. [They go down in the sense that you can't receive emails... I'm not sending email through namecheap's servers because I have Verizon FiOS and they block access to anyone else's outgoing mail server.]

I don't know what "a secured email addy" is, in this context, so I'd need a more detailed description to answer that question.

Phil

Author: RHinCT Big red star, 1000 posts Ticker Guide SC1 Red Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16298 of 16442
Subject: Re: NameCheap Date: 7/26/2012 9:34 PM
I have Verizon FiOS and they block access to anyone else's outgoing mail server.

I believe some mail services have enabled an alternate port to get around such limits.

Author: Radish Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16299 of 16442
Subject: Re: NameCheap Date: 7/26/2012 10:56 PM
RHinCT,

I believe some mail services have enabled an alternate port to get around such limits.

Yeah, I should check into that sometime. I just send using Verizon's outgoing server.

Phil

Author: stockmover Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16300 of 16442
Subject: Re: NameCheap Date: 7/27/2012 2:37 AM
Hey Phil,

I don't know what "a secured email addy" is, in this context, so I'd need a more detailed description to answer that question.

According to GoDaddy ... all emails are processed via their SSL server ... at least that's what they told me when they informed me I had email capability on my account. So I set one up and its been very reliable so far.

Rich
Arizona

Author: stockmover Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16301 of 16442
Subject: Re: NameCheap Date: 7/27/2012 2:39 AM
HAPPY FOOLIVERSARY RH !!!

Rich
Arizona

Author: MacNugget Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16302 of 16442
Subject: Re: NameCheap Date: 7/27/2012 3:26 AM

Port 587 (smtp mail submission) is actually the preferred port for mail submission for relay and many mail servers also listen on that port in addition to 25. It's a registered port with IANA and covered by RFC2476.

Author: mejayroberts Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16303 of 16442
Subject: Re: NameCheap Date: 7/27/2012 6:39 AM
I have had no problems with http://www.namecheap.com/ for six years of domain registration, and supplying SSL Certificates and DNS services. I've not tried their web hosting, preferring to use http://www.knownhost.com/ for my Virtual Private Servers.

Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16305 of 16442
Subject: Re: NameCheap Date: 7/29/2012 4:14 PM
Recommendations: 2
...six years of domain registration, and supplying SSL Certificates...

Still a novice "webmaster" after eight years of having a website, I
didn't know what SSL stood for, so I googled it, and was surprised by
Ask.com's priorities. I mean what does the top entry have to do with SSL?

http://dotcomjoe.com/0729h1

~aj

Author: Radish Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16308 of 16442
Subject: Re: NameCheap Date: 7/29/2012 7:18 PM
Recommendations: 3
stockmover,

According to GoDaddy ... all emails are processed via their SSL server ...

You can set Namecheap up either way, normal or secured. If your domain is, say, stockmover.com and you host it at Namecheap, then for normal email your server would be mail.stockmover.com (both incoming and outgoing) and the SMTP port 26. If you want secured email, you'd use server10.namecheaphosting.com and the SMTPS port 465. (It might not be "server10" for you, that's what it is for one of my accounts, but it'd be something similar.)

Phil

Author: stockmover Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16309 of 16442
Subject: Re: NameCheap Date: 7/30/2012 2:39 AM
Thanks Phil for the info I was looking for :)

Rich
Arizona

Author: Radish Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16310 of 16442
Subject: Re: NameCheap Date: 7/30/2012 3:04 AM
stockmover,

Thanks Phil for the info I was looking for :)

I should thank you too. I changed my email client over to the SSL settings, and now I can send my email through Namecheap's servers rather than through Verizon's. Seems to be much faster.

Should have thought to try that ages ago, but I didn't.

Phil

Author: stockmover Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16311 of 16442
Subject: Re: NameCheap Date: 7/30/2012 3:11 AM
Recommendations: 2
Hey Phil

Well, we both learned sumptin' ... thats the beauty of TMF's message boards ;)

Rich
Arizona

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement