Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: tori26 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 787  
Subject: Re: Puzzling out the errors Date: 11/15/2012 2:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Nancy,
I too have found lots of errors in Ancestry.com. I also have found many errors in Find-a-Grave which is where I put many people with copies of headstones or Volunteer to photograph stones in my area.

My own tree is private and I try to find as many sources as I possibly can for each person. I have connected with other people's trees only to go back and carefully delete most of the information out of my tree or used their info to help me learn more about people I might not have had in my tree.

I do however, play with small genealogies when working with some Find A Grave entries. Recently I started entering Alfred A Dimock into the Evergreen Cemetery in Portland, Maine. Now Dimock is a family name and I believe he is related to my great grandmother distantly.

However in the same lot was his 1st wife, his 2nd wife, his first wife's parents and an aunt as well as a daughter and a son. I set up a public genealogy and sourced the stuff like mad and am adding in the grave stone photos into the family tree as well.

I have several relatives whose trees I can see or are public that are working on the same lines, I have gone to them with corrected information because I see they connected with a tree that wasn't sourced and now have the wrong info. Sometimes they want to know and sometimes I get the feeling that they don't care. Which I don't understand since I want my information to be as correct as possible, whether I'm adding persons into Find A Grave, adding photos to entries all ready in Find A Grave or adding information into Ancestry.com

Linda
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement