Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (30) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Radish Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 681  
Subject: Re: School Vouchers Date: 10/9/2001 1:55 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Nancy,

Pure conjecture, but I would suspect you have never volunteered or perhaps even visited a public school classroom. To "eliminate" the public school system would deny the basic need for educating all of our children. ALL of our children.

I've worked for a public school system, and I've volunteered and visited. What you say is nonsense. I'd agree phrased this way:

To "eliminate" all school systems would deny the basic need for educating all of our children.

But I see absolultely no reason why a school system has to be run by the government, and a heck of a lot of reasons why it SHOULDN'T be. There are many excellent private schools that spend less per student than public schools in the same area. Given a chance, private schools could easily replace public schools, and (in my opinion) do a MUCH better job for far less money.

Since it has been demonstrated that private schools can indeed to an excellent job for less money than public schools, I don't see any reason why allowing parents to choose what school their kids go to would "destroy" education. The big problem would be explaining why the taxes that fund schools (and would continue to do so, if public schools were abolished) were so high and why the results were so incredibly bad.

Phil
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (30) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Intel's Broadwell Potential
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement