Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: arahfool Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 8999  
Subject: Na's drop on 18 Date: 5/14/2012 8:07 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am confused as to what ruling was used on Na's drop on 18 yesterday. I 'assumed' he took a drop because he would have had to stand on the cart path to hit his shot. He then dropped onto and played from the cart path.
I though that if you took relief from an obstacle like GUR and such you had to take complete relief?

The ground was pretty chewed up so maybe he got relief for that?

He did hit a heck of a shot though.

arahfool
Print the post Back To Top
Author: sunrayman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8843 of 8999
Subject: Re: Na's drop on 18 Date: 5/14/2012 8:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
I think Na utilized the "abnormal ground" portion of rule 25:

http://golf.about.com/cs/rulesofgolf/a/rule25.htm

One club length would have put the ball on the path, & that IS where he hit from on his next shot.

sunray
a man who does NOT play from paved surfaces

;-)

Author: alchook Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8844 of 8999
Subject: Re: Na's drop on 18 Date: 5/14/2012 11:11 PM
It's actually governed under Rule 24, obstructions.

He gets relief from an immovable obstruction if it interferes with his stance or his swing. Apparently Na thought the cart path interfered with his stance, but not his swing.

I don't think tour pros find hitting off of a cart path to be especially difficult.

And they aren't particularly concerned about damaging their clubs.

Author: NevadaGolfer Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8845 of 8999
Subject: Re: Na's drop on 18 Date: 5/15/2012 12:55 AM
Hitting off a cart path is absurdly easy. It's just brutally hard on the golf club.

Author: whambam65 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8846 of 8999
Subject: Re: Na's drop on 18 Date: 5/15/2012 7:51 AM
Hitting off a cart path is absurdly easy. It's just brutally hard on the golf club.

Pretty difficult taking a divot and if you did how would you put it back without a cement mixer?

:O)

Author: alchook Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8847 of 8999
Subject: Re: Na's drop on 18 Date: 5/15/2012 9:52 AM
I can't say that I've ever hit a golf shot that was worth more than the club.

Author: bdluckyshot Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8848 of 8999
Subject: Re: Na's drop on 18 Date: 5/15/2012 11:01 AM
I have.

Author: whambam65 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8849 of 8999
Subject: Re: Na's drop on 18 Date: 5/15/2012 12:46 PM
I can't say that I've ever hit a golf shot that was worth more than the club.

I've bent a 1 iron and an 8 iron believing I could avoid hitting a tree on the follow through. Not so good at stopping!

I think the worst case was guy who hit his golf bag with his club in anger after a bad shot. Only to discover his iPhone was in the pocket of his bag.

Much fun was had in the bar.

:O)

Si

Author: alchook Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8850 of 8999
Subject: Re: Na's drop on 18 Date: 5/15/2012 3:23 PM
Recommendations: 2
I've bent a 1 iron and an 8 iron believing I could avoid hitting a tree on the follow through.

Maybe you caught a break there.

What was it Harvey Penick used to say? "If you're looking for a ball in the woods always bring your 2 iron along. You might get lucky and lose it."

Author: sunrayman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8851 of 8999
Subject: Re: Na's drop on 18 Date: 5/15/2012 10:44 PM
He gets relief from an immovable obstruction if it interferes with his stance or his swing. Apparently Na thought the cart path interfered with his stance, but not his swing.

++++
++++
++++
++++

NOPE! He stood on the path when he hit the shot!

IF he had declared interference with his stance, he would have be required to take "complete relief" from the immovable obstruction, as Rule 24 states:

• b. Relief
Except when the ball is in a water hazard or a lateral water hazard, a player may take relief from interference by an immovable obstruction as follows:

(i) Through the Green: If the ball lies through the green, the player must lift the ball and drop it, without penalty, within one club-length of and not nearer the hole than the nearest point of relief. The nearest point of relief must not be in a hazard or on a putting green. When the ball is dropped within one club-length of the nearest point of relief, the ball must first strike a part of the course at a spot that avoids interference by the immovable obstruction and is not in a hazard and not on a putting green.

If you had watched the whole incident, you would have noted that Na dropped his ball on the path.

sunray
a man who watched

Author: alchook Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8852 of 8999
Subject: Re: Na's drop on 18 Date: 5/15/2012 11:17 PM
Sorry, I misunderstood. (I didn't watch because we don't get NBC in HD in my state.)

But rule 24 doesn't require him to take complete relief from the obstruction. He merely needs to drop the ball at a spot that avoids interference from it.

And I didn't see the drop, but in the photographs you can see a pretty sharp curb on the cart path. If the curb had been interfering with his swing he certainly was entitled to relief from it, and he could have dropped the ball on the cart path at a spot that avoided the interference.

And I note he used a hybrid, which would be pretty easy to hit from a cart path.

Author: whambam65 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8853 of 8999
Subject: Re: Na's drop on 18 Date: 5/16/2012 5:19 AM
Maybe you caught a break there.

What was it Harvey Penick used to say? "If you're looking for a ball in the woods always bring your 2 iron along. You might get lucky and lose it."

I wasn't quite in the woods. We have a line of poplar trees seperating the 8th from the practice ground. They were planted close together to form a green wall that a ball can't pass through. Hooking off the 8th tee always results in disaster. Usually because you hear that little voice in your head saying "Yeah, you can do this"

Author: alchook Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8854 of 8999
Subject: Re: Na's drop on 18 Date: 5/16/2012 6:33 PM
Recommendations: 1
OK, I finally found a video of the shot. I guess I misunderstood the situation.

There's a lively discussion going on about the decision. Apparently the announcers agreed with me, that Na was taking relief from the curb of the cart path.

The next day The Golf Channel took it up. They agreed with you, that he took relief from ground under repair.

Looking at where the ball lay, I'd have to conclude you're right. If he were taking relief from the curb it wouldn't seem that his nearest point of relief could be on the cart path.

I'm still not clear if you can take relief from a part of an obstruction interfering with your shot without taking relief from the entire obstruction. There doesn't seem to be anything about it in the decision book.

Maybe I need to get a life.

Author: shuksan77 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8856 of 8999
Subject: Re: Na's drop on 18 Date: 5/21/2012 7:17 PM
Alchook:

Maybe I need to get a life.

Don't feel bad.

I recall a rules dealie a number of years ago which might have involved Craig Stadler. He had a ball in a bad spot and was going to have to kneel down to hit. Naturally he wanted to preserve his pants so he put a golf towel down under his kneel point.

Made the shot and went on his way. Nothing happened.

Later on he was penalized a stroke for "...improving his lie". Apparently someone watching on TV emailed his unofficial ruling to the rules people who agreed with him.

That person needs a life, not you..

Hmmmm..

Maybe that person was you?

:-))

--s

Author: alchook Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8857 of 8999
Subject: Re: Na's drop on 18 Date: 5/21/2012 7:25 PM
If you ask me the a-hole of all time was Michael Bamberger, the SI writer who told on Michelle Wie for a bad drop that wasn't even all that bad.

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8858 of 8999
Subject: Re: Na's drop on 18 Date: 5/22/2012 1:02 PM
Later on he was penalized a stroke for "...improving his lie". Apparently someone watching on TV emailed his unofficial ruling to the rules people who agreed with him.

I know of no other sport where this happens. In football or baseball, a bad call can impact a championship and they let it stand no matter how many fans send emails.

Author: shuksan77 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8859 of 8999
Subject: Re: Na's drop on 18 Date: 5/25/2012 10:00 AM
Here's a link....

scroll down to the "Andy WIlliams Open"

I got it a bit wrong on several counts.

1. He was penalized for "...building a stance..."

2. Since he failed to add 2 strokes to his score, he was DQ'd.

3. it all happened the next day after some parts of the tournament were replayed on tape. Then the rules zealots struck

Hope he hadn't got his check....

--s

Author: alchook Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8860 of 8999
Subject: Re: Na's drop on 18 Date: 5/25/2012 11:47 AM
Today television viewers would simply be relieved that Stadler didn't go Henrik Stenson on us.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement