Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (37) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Maraith Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 41498  
Subject: Natural way to prepare for colonoscopy? Date: 7/3/2012 5:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I thought a colonic would work but my gastroenterologist emphastically said no. So I'm now at the Miralax cleanse which she says is easiest on the kidneys.

Why is there no natural/non-chemical way to clean out for this procedure? Or is there one?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37389 of 41498
Subject: Re: Natural way to prepare for colonoscopy? Date: 7/4/2012 4:57 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Why is there no natural/non-chemical way to clean out for this procedure? Or is there one?

A totally "clean" bowel that's free of any fecal matter whatsoever is about as unnatural a state you could think of. Pretty much the only way to acheive it quickly is "unnaturally"

As far as natural goes, I guess a nasty dose of cholera might give you the same end result..... but with a lot more suffering for a lot longer (not that the colon prep is fun, mind)

Author: Maraith Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37391 of 41498
Subject: Re: Natural way to prepare for colonoscopy? Date: 7/4/2012 2:00 PM
Well, there's a business opportunity for some enterprising startup. Create an all-natural way to prepare for colonoscopies.

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37392 of 41498
Subject: Re: Natural way to prepare for colonoscopy? Date: 7/4/2012 4:16 PM
Recommendations: 1
Why bother??

What's available works just fine.

The handful of folk who want something "natural" can prolly get what they want for free by visitng a public toilet that hasn't been flushed and drink away their hearts content.......and are never likely to make any business enterprise a going concern. If they're so "naturally" inclined, they won't be stepping up to have an example of 21st Century engineering shoved up their derriere in the first place.

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37394 of 41498
Subject: Re: Natural way to prepare for colonoscopy? Date: 7/4/2012 6:26 PM
Well, there's a business opportunity for some enterprising startup. Create an all-natural way to prepare for colonoscopies.

What's the point? At most, a colonoscopy is once every 2-3 years and it can be every 7-8 years or so. It's not remotely like the regular ingestion of residue from unhealthful insecticides and fertilizers, low-dose antibiotics, and growth stimulating hormones, etc etc.

I just wish there were a way to do it slowly and gently, and with stuff that didn't taste like garbage.

sheila

Author: Maraith Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37396 of 41498
Subject: Re: Natural way to prepare for colonoscopy? Date: 7/4/2012 11:42 PM
The point is, for me, that I have spent three months eating as well as possible. That is, all fresh foods, no food requiring a label, meats with no antibiotics or hormone treatment, no GMO foods, and limited intake of wheat and dairy and sugar.

Now, getting a colonoscopy, I have to put some serious chemicals into my system in order to force my body to eject quickly everything still being processed. Right at the point where my body is feeling better than it has felt in years.

Further, my sister developed chronic kidney disease as a result of using the Fleet prep (no longer on the market because of all the lawsuits by people who had permanent kidney damages as a result of using it). Now they say that the current versions are "kind to the kidneys" and won't hurt you. Bet they said that about Fleet until they discovered it was very hurtful.

That's why there's an opportunity for a new product that works WITH the body rather than poisoning it.

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37397 of 41498
Subject: Re: Natural way to prepare for colonoscopy? Date: 7/5/2012 6:14 AM
....That is, all fresh foods, no food requiring a label, meats with no antibiotics or hormone treatment, no GMO foods, and limited intake of wheat and dairy and sugar.

Now, getting a colonoscopy, I have to put some serious chemicals into my system ....

Well, if you did but know it, you've been consistently putting "serious chemicals into your system" all this while.......the difference being that your chosen chemical concoction is a choice (obviously) vs. what you perceive as being a concoction that you wouldn't choose if you had a choice. Except you do....

It seems from your statement that you don't actually need a colonoscopy for any emergent, emergency life-saving reason. This might sound strange but, if you don't fancy the "un-naturalness" of the LEAST risky part of the procedure (the prep) you can actually choose not to have the REALLY risky part (the colonoscopy istself).....REALLY

While the Fleet prep kit actually did have the potential for causing kidney damage in susceptible groups and yes it has been withdrawn from the market volunatarily, that's a decision that's much more related to the fact that better *less risky* stuff came along to make that made it worthwhile financially<...... but not physiologically.

Additionally, it's worthwhile thinking about the time-frame here. I had my colonoscopy done about the middle of 2006 as a screening (a.k.a. voluntary) procedure. Now, I can't say this for sure since, although dh and I have a whole slew of intellectually interesting discussions about our relative gigs, we don't get bogged down in details about stuff like how to get a colon really clean (and for a colonscopy it needs to be really, REALLY clean out of respect for the folk who're going to be working at that end and remembering YOU if you didn't accomplish that......just sayin').....but I honestly can't remember there ever being a suggestion about the relative merits of a Fleet kit vs. say, HalfLytely which is what I used. This suggests to me that Fleet died a death from being a mediocre choice rather than a dangerous *poisonous* one.

...That's why there's an opportunity for a new product that works WITH the body rather than poisoning it

....so now you see why there's not, right??

You're electing an inherently unntural state and procedure that works AGAINST every function the body has evolved to perform. The question to ask is why on Earth someone would think there's a way to accomplish this *naturally*

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37399 of 41498
Subject: Re: Natural way to prepare for colonoscopy? Date: 7/5/2012 9:45 AM
(and for a colonscopy it needs to be really, REALLY clean out of respect for the folk who're going to be working at that end and remembering YOU if you didn't accomplish that......just sayin').....

Ahem. I suspect the primary reasons for needing to be completely "product-free" for one's colonoscopy are (1) a clear visual field, with no territory obscured, and (2) no chance of contamination/infection if a polyp is found and thus has to be removed during the procedure.

As for the Fleet stuff, I've never seen that prescribed for colonoscopy prep. It doesn't clean you out top to bottom, but just the lower regions. I was instructed to use that once when my GI guy wanted to check something out via a sigmoidoscopy (it was negative), which covers a very limited area.

sheila

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37400 of 41498
Subject: Re: Natural way to prepare for colonoscopy? Date: 7/5/2012 9:55 AM
Ahem. I suspect the primary reasons for needing to be completely "product-free" for one's colonoscopy are (1) a clear visual field, with no territory obscured....

Abso-TOOTLY....but, ahem when folk are bloviating about the "natural" stuff, those who know about this particular area will oftentimes choose to emphasize what's most likely to resonate......because there's not really any point in a rational discussion (even though I've attempted such, thus far)

Of course, if you don't know what I'm talking about WRT how gawd awful it can be for those in the colonoscopy suite when they have to deal with residual detritus (and I can tell you *FOR A FACT* tht no-one's job description should include this sort of insult)......well, you don't know what I'm talking about, I guess.

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37401 of 41498
Subject: Re: Natural way to prepare for colonoscopy? Date: 7/5/2012 10:12 AM
Of course, if you don't know what I'm talking about WRT how gawd awful it can be for those in the colonoscopy suite when they have to deal with residual detritus (and I can tell you *FOR A FACT* tht no-one's job description should include this sort of insult)......well, you don't know what I'm talking about, I guess.

I do realize that certain "natural" products are less than thrilling to encounter. But for physicians who have chosen to specialize in issues involving the intestines, I'm sure they're prepared to encounter and neatly dispose of any detritus.

You can have the same problem during delivery in childbirth. Much more of a problem, actually, because it's not reduced to a minimum by any prior efforts. Yet those working in the delivery room are all exceedingly comfortable with the possibility, and totally prepared for instantaneous effortless disposal. It's no big deal--a potential part of the routine.

Author: Maraith Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37402 of 41498
Subject: Re: Natural way to prepare for colonoscopy? Date: 7/5/2012 10:21 AM
Recommendations: 4
Well, I came here asking for information and got some of that and a lot o attitude. Of course this is a choice, to have the colonoscopy. And I'd like the prep to be kinder to my system. Why that incurs such wrath is beyond me.

Oh, and the full Fleet prep included Phospho-Soda which was the culprit, causing pooling of calcium in the kidneys. Victims have incurred damage from mild CKD to severe CKD requiring dialysis and even transplants. The product was not removed because of competitive options although gullible people will believe this company version. It was removed from the market because a significant number of people got kidney disease as a result of using it. For Fleet to leave it on the market when it was known that people were having permanent damage to kidneys would have opened them up to even worse suits. Individual lawsuits and class actions are wending their ways through the justice system now. Chronic kidney disease is a high price to pay for something ordered by doctors.

So I question the reasonableness of assuming and trusting anything about the preparation process and continue to wish for a more natural approach.

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37403 of 41498
Subject: Re: Natural way to prepare for colonoscopy? Date: 7/5/2012 10:34 AM
But for physicians who have chosen to specialize in issues involving the intestines, I'm sure they're prepared to encounter and neatly dispose of any detritus.

I'm glad you're comfortable with that belief (I wasn't just thinking about physicians, when mentioning those in the colonoscopy suite, BTW)

You haven't actually experienced this, right??

But for physicians who have chosen to specialize in issues involving the intestines, I'm sure they're prepared to encounter and neatly dispose of any detritus......

... Yet those working in the delivery room are all exceedingly comfortable with the possibility, and totally prepared for instantaneous effortless disposal. It's no big deal--a potential part of the routine

No....they're EXCEEDINGLY not.

For sure, anyone with expertise and experience in dealing with whatever the human condition can dump on them can deal with whatever the human condition can dump on them but..

"...prepared to encouter..."

"...exceedingly comfortable with..."

"...totally prepared for instantaneous effortless disposal of..."

"...It's no big deal--..."

....are huge....HUGE.... infringements on anyone's anyone's ability to do their "job" effectively......from the Hall Porter down to the Senior Clinician.

All opinions aren't all necessarily valid.

Author: wolferd1 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37404 of 41498
Subject: Re: Natural way to prepare for colonoscopy? Date: 7/5/2012 10:52 AM
Recommendations: 14
Well, I came here asking for information and got some of that and a lot o attitude. Of course this is a choice, to have the colonoscopy. And I'd like the prep to be kinder to my system. Why that incurs such wrath is beyond me.

And to me. I came by this board a while back with an interest in board topic and hoped to learn some things and get answers to some health and nutrition concerns.

Instead I discovered a board dominated by a single poster who seems to get into a pi$$ing contest with everyone who dares to post. It is really too bad.

The internet opens the doors to a lot of resources. I would suggest that you just move on, there is nothing of value here.

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37405 of 41498
Subject: Re: Natural way to prepare for colonoscopy? Date: 7/5/2012 10:56 AM

In the delivery room? I most certainly have. And I can assure you that your disbelief bears no relevance to the realities.

When you say: huge....HUGE.... infringements on anyone's anyone's ability to do their "job" effectively......from the Hall Porter down to the Senior Clinician......

It was the "Senior Clinician" who said "just let it happen. You need to get it out of the way. Don't worry. Happens here all the time. We're totally comfortable and prepared. And we'll get everything cleaned up in a jiffy." And that's exactly what happened.

All opinions aren't all necessarily valid.

Very true. Your's isn't. But I'm talking experience -- and mine is valid.

(And I apologize if this has grossed anyone out!!!)

sheila

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37406 of 41498
Subject: Re: Natural way to prepare for colonoscopy? Date: 7/5/2012 11:01 AM

Beyond me too. Disagreeing is one thing. But the rest....

HOWEVER.....it occurs to me that I do have a few people I could ask about this. If there are better alternatives that fit what you're hoping to find, they would know. Sorry I didn't think of them before.

So....stay tuned.

sheila

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37407 of 41498
Subject: Re: Natural way to prepare for colonoscopy? Date: 7/5/2012 11:08 AM
Recommendations: 3
Why that incurs such wrath is beyond me.
And to me. I came by this board a while back with an interest in board topic and hoped to learn some things and get answers to some health and nutrition concerns.

Instead I discovered a board dominated by a single poster who seems to get into a pi$$ing contest with everyone who dares to post. It is really too bad..... there is nothing of value here.

This was once a thriving spirited board. The behavior that has strangled it didn't used to be so constant or extreme, just something that would pop up from time to time (especially with anything complementary/alternative/integrative).

My hope is that we can repopulate the board with enough people who can ignore this one toxic voice, and enjoy enlightening discussions. I'll certainly try to bring more information that I feel is interesting and potentially helpful.

So....please stick around.

sheila

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37408 of 41498
Subject: Re: Natural way to prepare for colonoscopy? Date: 7/5/2012 11:20 AM

Instead I discovered a board dominated by a single poster who seems to get into a pi$$ing contest with everyone who dares to post. It is really too bad

Sooo.....you're not actually interested in anything of a factual nature to do with a colonoscopy prep, right....RIGHT!?! and have nothing at all to add to the discussion?? You will find yourself perfectly at home on this board.....and it doesn't make you a Bad Person. In fact, you will find yourself gathering a whole slew of *recs*

But still.....I think you'll find that this board by default has become something of a dumping ground for all manner of ill informed opinions that don't serve anyone too well (beyond the opinionater)

If *you*....whomever *you* may be....perceive this notion as populating the board with toxicity you are always free to ignore such posts and spend your internet time focusing on whatever else interests you.

I would suggest that you just move on, there is nothing of value here.

For anyone who believes this as a statement.....just do it!!

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37409 of 41498
Subject: Re: Natural way to prepare for colonoscopy? Date: 7/5/2012 11:28 AM
This was once a thriving spirited board. The behavior that has strangled it didn't used to be so constant or extreme, just something that would pop up from time to time (especially with anything complementary/alternative/integrative).

It was always a Thriving and Spirited board.....even when the sCAM stuff came up...

It started to die a death when the sole representative of the STYLE MILITIA determined that anything that didn't comport with HER view of how stuff should be approached (empowered by recs from like minded compadres) started banging onandonandon about *style* to the extent that folk just got plain BORED with the board.

So....please stick around.

Indeed......can you remind us all again of your contribution???

Not that it matters a jot, mind......but it'd be a shame that a worthwhile offering made by yourself got the smack down during the course of what you perceive as a one person pi$$ing contest.

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37410 of 41498
Subject: Re: Natural way to prepare for colonoscopy? Date: 7/5/2012 11:44 AM
It was the "Senior Clinician" who said "just let it happen. You need to get it out of the way. Don't worry. Happens here all the time. We're totally comfortable and prepared. And we'll get everything cleaned up in a jiffy."

Of course.....that's what professionals with a sense of propriety actually say. A bit like what dentists say when a patient shares the info that they haven't gotten around to brushing and flossing prior to their appointment.

But, you didn't actually believe it, right?? It was a comment to make you feel comfortable......and create the illusion that everyone else was totally cool also. But no.....really....NO. Absolutely NO The endoscopy crew have to deal with stuff and clean it up..... but comfortable and prepared.......absolutely not. No-one gets to be comfortable and prepared.

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37411 of 41498
Subject: Re: Natural way to prepare for colonoscopy? Date: 7/5/2012 11:50 AM
Recommendations: 4
But, you didn't actually believe it, right?? It was a comment to make you feel comfortable......and create the illusion that everyone else was totally cool also. But no.....really....NO. Absolutely NO

So you were a fly on the wall when I gave birth to my kids? And inside the minds of my OB-GYN and his team?

You've got it very very wrong. 100% backwards. But if you want to believe your scenario, that's fine. And let's leave it at that.

sheila

Author: Maraith Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37412 of 41498
Subject: Re: Natural way to prepare for colonoscopy? Date: 7/5/2012 11:55 AM
Recommendations: 2
The internet opens the doors to a lot of resources. I would suggest that you just move on, there is nothing of value here.

Thanks, Wolferd. I will do exactly that.

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37413 of 41498
Subject: Re: Natural way to prepare for colonoscopy? Date: 7/5/2012 11:59 AM
So you were a fly on the wall when I gave birth to my kids? And inside the minds of my OB-GYN and his team?

I thought this was a thread about a colonscopy prep.

My bad.....but if you feel the need to believe then by all means BELIEVE

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37414 of 41498
Subject: Re: Natural way to prepare for colonoscopy? Date: 7/5/2012 12:07 PM
Maraith.....since you started this thread I think it'd behoove you to inform or entertain us with whatever factoids you stumble across on this here internet......complete with your *understanding* of the same.

You may not be tremendously interested but you shouldn't dismiss the notion that there may be folk lurking here who are still a bit unsure about the pharmacology of bowel prep kits or the physiology of the human alimentary system. I may be able to help out a bit more than your meanderings can provide for......or not.

Anyone can then make their own decision......the STYLE MILITIA notwithstanding.

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37415 of 41498
Subject: Re: Natural way to prepare for colonoscopy? Date: 7/5/2012 12:18 PM

Indicating childbirth and delivery in both posts, how much clearer can I make it?

My bad.....but if you feel the need to believe then by all means BELIEVE

You just don't give up. Well.....I know the reality, as I had discussed it with my doc and with others. But as you obviously feel the need to believe your version, then by all means....

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37416 of 41498
Subject: Re: Natural way to prepare for colonoscopy? Date: 7/5/2012 12:19 PM
the STYLE MILITIA notwithstanding

You talk style. EVERYone else talks attitude.

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37417 of 41498
Subject: Re: Natural way to prepare for colonoscopy? Date: 7/5/2012 12:28 PM

Indicating childbirth and delivery in both posts, how much clearer can I make it?

In which *both posts*.....I'm getting confused here. We're talking colonoscopy preps, right. If you can glom onto anything resembling a worthwhile reference on my part to anything OB/GYN I should like to have me a Heads-Up (since I don't know much more than any other NON-OB/GYN)

Well.....I know the reality, as I had discussed it with my doc and with others. But as you obviously feel the need to believe your version, then by all means....

So I think I'm confused.....but maybe I'm not. Are we still banging on about bowel preps for an elective colonoscopy?

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37418 of 41498
Subject: Re: Natural way to prepare for colonoscopy? Date: 7/5/2012 12:30 PM
You talk style. EVERYone else talks attitude.

And so they may......but are we talking about bowel prep for a colonoscopy or not?

Author: ilmostro Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37420 of 41498
Subject: Re: Natural way to prepare for colonoscopy? Date: 7/5/2012 4:11 PM
SIGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Another thread falls victim to the dreaded pi$$ing match.

Why oh why?

After much thought (not) I conclude (not that is it the right conclusion, just my conclusion) that the participants enjoy it despite their writing that they don't enjoy it.

It's the usual participants with their usual tactics.
They both enjoy hurling insults, though one is much more subtle about it.
One likes to ridicule other people's lack of knowledge or lack of credentials. Dont' know maybe is makes them feel superior? Just a hunch.

The other likes to continually and repeatedly point out the flaws of the other. Like it is going to result in something different this time.

Carry on with the ultimate pi$$ing match ladies.
Maybe I can learn to love it as much as you do, some day, eventually, maybe.

Bryan

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37421 of 41498
Subject: Re: Natural way to prepare for colonoscopy? Date: 7/5/2012 4:29 PM
Carry on with the ultimate pi$$ing match ladies.

Gee--I thought it was over.

The other likes to continually and repeatedly point out the flaws of the other. Like it is going to result in something different this time.

It's not "liking" to point out her flaws, and for me it's not a pi$$ing match. I have a really hard time with such unkind smug superiority, especially when there's not even any base for it, plus I have a hard time with people who twist my words or try to skewer me with something I never even said. I know that my comments aren't going to change anything, and for some time now I do ignore most of what the other says -- but every once in a while I feel really pressed to respond and try to clarify. I'll certainly try to do that even less. I don't want to add to the unpleasantness for others.

sheila

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37422 of 41498
Subject: Re: Natural way to prepare for colonoscopy? Date: 7/5/2012 4:29 PM
It's the usual participants with their usual tactics.
They both enjoy hurling insults, though one is much more subtle about it.
One likes to ridicule other people's lack of knowledge or lack of credentials. Dont' know maybe is makes them feel superior? Just a hunch.

Interesting set of inferences you're drawing, here, Brayn......

Am I correct in assuming you don't have much interest in or anything of a worthwhile nature to add to a discussion on bowel prep for a colonoscopy......but feel the need to post something anyway?

No biggie if I'm wrong here.......but you do seem to pop up fairly consistently when you perceive there's some $h!te to be stirred (so to speak)

Get a grip.....it's a bowel prep for a colonoscopy under discussion. There's not much discussion to be had.

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37423 of 41498
Subject: Re: Natural way to prepare for colonoscopy? Date: 7/5/2012 4:32 PM
I have a really hard time with such unkind smug superiority, especially when there's not even any base for it, plus I have a hard time with people who twist my words or try to skewer me with something I never even said. I know that my comments aren't going to change anything, and for some time now I do ignore most of what the other says -- but every once in a while I feel really pressed to respond and try to clarify.

It's bowel prep for a colonoscopy.....

Author: ilmostro Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37424 of 41498
Subject: Re: Natural way to prepare for colonoscopy? Date: 7/5/2012 4:35 PM
I don't want to add to the unpleasantness for others.

Carry on as per usual. We may learn to like the p matches.

Bryan

Author: ilmostro Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37425 of 41498
Subject: Re: Natural way to prepare for colonoscopy? Date: 7/5/2012 4:40 PM
Get a grip.....it's a bowel prep for a colonoscopy under discussion. There's not much discussion to be had.
Great quote from someone with 10+ posts of the 32 posts in this thread thus far.

Bryan

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37427 of 41498
Subject: Re: Natural way to prepare for colonoscopy? Date: 7/5/2012 6:02 PM
In which *both posts*.....I'm getting confused here. We're talking colonoscopy preps, right.

The thread was colonoscopy prep, but I had extended it with my birth experience because it was relevant to the colonoscopy comments at that point. (Actually, turns out I'd stated it in 3 of these posts.)
Discussions often end up on a somewhat different path than the stated subject.

Anyhow--here are the 3 references I'd made, just to straighten things out.

post 37401: http://boards.fool.com/of-course-if-you-dont-know-what-im-ta...
I said: "You can have the same problem during delivery in childbirth. Much more of a problem, actually, because it's not reduced to a minimum by any prior efforts. Yet those working in the delivery room are all exceedingly comfortable with the possibility, and totally prepared for instantaneous effortless disposal. It's no big deal--a potential part of the routine."

post 37405: http://boards.fool.com/you-havent-actually-experienced-this-...
You said: You haven't actually experienced this, right??

I said: In the delivery room? I most certainly have. And I can assure you that your disbelief bears no relevance to the realities.

Post 37411: http://boards.fool.com/but-you-didnt-actually-believe-it-rig...
You said: But, you didn't actually believe it, right?? It was a comment to make you feel comfortable......and create the illusion that everyone else was totally cool also. But no.....really....NO. Absolutely NO

I said: So you were a fly on the wall when I gave birth to my kids? And inside the minds of my OB-GYN and his team?

sheila

Author: LQu Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37430 of 41498
Subject: Re: Natural way to prepare for colonoscopy? Date: 7/6/2012 12:33 PM
Maraith - perhaps your gastroenterologist is "married" to the more traditional methods, haveing been trained only in them. Some doctors are more forward-looking than others as new and sucessful therapies are developed.

You may want to revisit the topic, either with further information on hand, or perhaps see what other gastroenterologists may work with. One of the hospitals in our area now offers colon hydrotherapy as a valid and sucessful prep for colonoscopies. Maybe this will give you something further to pursue. If you contacted them, perhaps they could direct you to similar resources/medical professionals in your area:

http://hbmag.com/colon-hydrotherapy-new-method-of-colonoscop...

In 2008, Danbury Hospital in Connecticut became the first hospital in the nation to begin using Colon Hydrotherapy as a preparation for Colonoscopy....

...Barton Hospital reports that Colon Hydrotherapy has shown to be more effective and better tolerated than the standard methods of bowel preparation for colonoscopy.

According to Dr. Joseph Fiorito of Danbury Hospital, “Colon Hydrotherapy is much more convenient [than using the conventional prep].” People don’t have to worry about missing work, having to not eat for extended periods of time, or being kept up all night with diarrhea. He also states that using Colon Hydrotherapy versus traditional prep is beneficial to the elderly and ill patients who are more likely to suffer to electrolyte abnormalities and kidney damage from drinking harsh chemical laxatives....

While Colon Hydrotherapy is currently a popular enhancement to diets, cleanses and an important aid in helping people detoxify their bodies by removing impacted fecal matter from the bowel, it is slowly becoming recognized by the medical community as a valid preparation for Colonoscopy. Protocol is currently being established for other treatment and diagnostic procedures such as Sigmoidoscopy and Barium Enema. Studies show colonics can reduce problems with bowel function associated with general anesthesia following surgery.

This past spring, Barton Hospital in South Lake Tahoe became the second facility in the U.S. to use Colon Hydrotherapy as a preparation for Colonoscopy....

Having had a colonoscopy using "traditional" cleansing methods 2 years ago, this is something I would consider researching further as an alternative for next time, along with a different/gentler food regime for several days before, rather than compressing it over a 24 hour period, to reduce the intestinal load more gently and gradually.

Hope that gives you something to consider,

Laura

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37431 of 41498
Subject: Re: Natural way to prepare for colonoscopy? Date: 7/6/2012 2:19 PM
One of the hospitals in our area now offers colon hydrotherapy as a valid and sucessful prep for colonoscopies. Maybe this will give you something further to pursue. If you contacted them, perhaps they could direct you to similar resources/medical professionals in your area:

http://hbmag.com/colon-hydrotherapy-new-method-of-colonoscop......

....According to Dr. Joseph Fiorito of Danbury Hospital, “Colon Hydrotherapy is much more convenient [than using the conventional prep].” People don’t have to worry about missing work, having to not eat for extended periods of time, or being kept up all night with diarrhea. He also states that using Colon Hydrotherapy versus traditional prep is beneficial to the elderly and ill patients who are more likely to suffer to electrolyte abnormalities and kidney damage from drinking harsh chemical laxatives....

Have to admit, this does sound pretty darn good.....not having to miss work or not eat for exended periods etc. etc(well, I didn't miss work except for the procedure and only "fasted" for a day, but still...) except....

Protocol does vary regarding the number of colonics that should be done prior to Colonoscopy. Some recommendations are for three consecutive Colon Hydrotherapy sessions with the third session being the day of the procedure. Other recommendations call for only two sessions, and recommend the addition of laxatives such as Miralax.

This doesn't sound any more gentle, convenient or natural to me.

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37432 of 41498
Subject: Re: Natural way to prepare for colonoscopy? Date: 7/6/2012 2:37 PM
Maraith - perhaps your gastroenterologist is "married" to the more traditional methods, haveing been trained only in them.

Out of intereset, LQu......do you know how the training of these "colon hydrotherapists" compares with that of these backward-looking gastroenterologists?

Given that the colon prep is the least risky part of the whole procedure and the advertising copy you reproduced suggests subsituting that for something that's much closer in terms of risk of, say, colon perfortion to the procedure itself......and multiple times over come to that, it doesn't look much like a worthwhile trade off to me

Per the folk passing opinions on sheila's list serve, it doesn't seem to be something that's becoming recognised as a valid prep either ...except by a Reiki practitioner.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (37) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement