UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: DeadheadFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1656  
Subject: Nature & Religion Date: 7/14/2000 12:44 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
This article brought up some memories of past discussions on this board...

http://enn.com/features/2000/07/07132000/religion_13546.asp

The triangle of Religion, Science, and Ecology. Very interesting...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JohnQuixote Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1552 of 1656
Subject: Re: Nature & Religion Date: 7/14/2000 1:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Thanks, Chris. It reminds me of once-upon-a-time on the Enron board. In fact, one of our most prolific posters left the board in disgust with the philosophical tangents (someone posted something suggesting God is dead).

I love these sorts of discussions, as I studied quite a bit of religion and ethics during my undergraduate BA in environmental studies. (...Back when I was convinced that protest was the most effective means to social change.) Yeah, those early Enron discussions were very exciting and reminiscent.

Sadly, my time is now consumed with weekaday efforts to prepare for winter (savings and invstments for family years, education, and retirement). On weekends I try to get to my place of worship -- the rocks or the outdoors.

Also, I guess I've experienced an evolution of mind, tending to set aside deep religio-philosophical discussions in favor of topics such as how and which businesses can I support (and invest in) to leverage a broader societal acceptance of my own environmental beliefs.

I guess of all my interdisciplinary studies, I most adhere to my sociological understanding of the structures of society. Family, religion, government, and commerce. Looking at those today, commerce (or industry) seems most powerful. This is why I spend my spare time on these boards.

You?

Cheers!

John Quixote
(Still tilting at windmills, just different ones.)

Author: catharine Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1553 of 1656
Subject: Re: Nature & Religion Date: 7/14/2000 3:34 PM
Recommendations: 1
" On weekends I try to get to my place of worship -- the rocks or the outdoors"

I often find that time spent outdoors appreciating nature often reminds me of the spiritual element...which like you said, is easy to lose sight of when dealing with day to day activities & concerns! :-)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement