UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: SRenaeP Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 31120  
Subject: Need a good site to order plants Date: 5/16/2005 9:59 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I haven't had much luck finding plants I like at the Home Depot or Lowe's near my house. It may be due to the fact that I waited too late in the season to plant. However, does anyone know of any good online stores where I can order plants? I ordered some bulbs from Breck's in the past and was pleased with them but I'd like to get plants, not bulbs, now since it's so late in the season. Thanks.

-Steph
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17797 of 31120
Subject: Re: Need a good site to order plants Date: 5/16/2005 10:05 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
What plants are you looking for? Is there a nursery close to you, they might have more.

Jean

Author: SRenaeP Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17798 of 31120
Subject: Re: Need a good site to order plants Date: 5/16/2005 10:23 AM
What plants are you looking for? Is there a nursery close to you, they might have more.

Jean

A bunch of different kinds - columbine, anemone, yarrow, clematis, delphinum. I have a whole list of ones I saw in a garden magazine and like.

-Steph

Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17799 of 31120
Subject: Re: Need a good site to order plants Date: 5/16/2005 11:33 AM
I'm surprised they don't have them at lowe's etc....sometimes they come in a bit later, when they are in bloom, since that's what people look for to buy. I get them in 4" pots, but most places are selling them in gallon containers.

I've never ordered those types of plants. I want to see what the plant looks like. FWIW, yarrow and Columbine both come up easy from seed.

A nursery should have all of those, they are pretty common, if they live in your area.

Jean

Author: adriana3136 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17800 of 31120
Subject: Re: Need a good site to order plants Date: 5/16/2005 11:46 AM
Try Garden Watchdog.

http://davesgarden.com/gwd/

You can do a search on gardening companies by state or by type of plant you're looking for. Then you can read reviews on those companies. I almost ordered a bunch of plants from this one company, until I googled its name and found a bunch of reallly bad reviews on this site. Like 99% negative. It saved me a boatload of money.

Author: riverlad Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17801 of 31120
Subject: Re: Need a good site to order plants Date: 5/16/2005 1:32 PM
I've found this company very reliable: http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/index.html

Author: zuzu70 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17807 of 31120
Subject: Re: Need a good site to order plants Date: 5/16/2005 11:58 PM
Do a google search for "nursery" and the state in which you live. Or, like others have said, a local nursery may have what you want.

Author: Trini209 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17809 of 31120
Subject: Re: Need a good site to order plants Date: 5/17/2005 6:14 AM
I order plants from catalogs all the time. Remember that you get what you pay for, and the cheaper places send smaller, often unsuccessful, bareroot twigs and roots. I try to order plants that come potted up and already in leaf, rather than bareroot stock.

Bluestone Perennials and Wayside Gardens (Wayside and Park Seed are owned by the same people and have a lot of the same plants) are generally reliable. I also have good luck with two companies that specialize in bulbs but have perennials, too: Dutch Gardens and Van Bourgondian.

Most of these mail order nurseries have websites, and if you get on their e-mail mailing list, you're frequently offered promotional sales and notices of general sales. Also, some of them have e-mail newsletters with some good gardening advice and tips.

Trini

Author: eastender Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17810 of 31120
Subject: Re: Need a good site to order plants Date: 5/17/2005 9:25 AM
I order from White Flower Farms. I have always received good plants from them. They are expensive, but as Trini says--you get what you pay for. After being disappointed by a big order from another mail order house I stick with White Flower for perennials if I can't find them here in a local nursery.

http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/

Good luck with your garden.

eastender

Author: OceanEmerald Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17831 of 31120
Subject: Re: Need a good site to order plants Date: 5/18/2005 7:59 PM
I don't have a good site to offer but I have one to warn you against. I recently received a $170 order of plants from http://www.DirectGardening.com In an email asking about my order status the customer service rep indicated that he needs my order number and shipping address to look up my order while the email he replied to was the billing statement they have sent me with all the order information on it!

The plants finally arrived 1 ½ months AFTER I placed the order but some bulbs were fully rotted through. I don't know if the problem occurs in the nursery or the shipping company since I received them in the beginning of a very hot week. Long story short, I need to send in the original packing slip and a written request for any replacements. Well, since I have one year to ask for replacement and I only have one packing slip so I will wait a few months and see how the rest of the plants do.

I am very disappointed since I have ordered from them before and they were pretty good last time (a few years back). I think I am very dissatisfied with the quality of perennials they sent me this time. One example is that the dozen of English Lavender plants that came, 3 were longer then 5 inches (including root) and rest were somewhere between 2-3 inches (with most of the length coming from the root system). I've ordered seedlings from other vendors before and this can hardly be called a seeding.

Anyway, I guess I got what I paid for and I wasn't that happy about it since it was a large order and I feel ripped of! I hope you have a better luck and let me know whom you went with and your experience with them since I will be ordering from someone else from now on.

-O

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement