UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: dbrudos One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4031  
Subject: Need a stronger wireless signal Date: 8/19/2008 11:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hey Fool Community,

I've been gone for a while, but I thought I would come back here for help instead of some techie board because I think you folks speak my language.

I installed a wireless router for my favorite local watering hole and thought it was all good, but now the signal does not reach nearly as far as it should. By the time you get to the end of the bar, the signal is nearly gone. And living in Houston, you have to be outside to smoke. The place does have a rather large front porch and we are hoping to get the signal out to them.

Long story short, I have learned from the local electronics store expert that I either need a wireless router signal repeater or a new router. The router is cheaper, which is of course what the bar owner wants. Problem is I will have to continue to utilize the modem in the AT&T provided router while disabling the router and then installing the new router.

Anyone have an idea how to connect my laptop to the old AT&T provided router and disable that function? Best Buy (errr...the local electronics store who would gladly accept $89 to do it for me) tried to explain it to me, but I'm not sure I could do it...even though my tab would be paid for while I do the work.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Darren
Print the post Back To Top
Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4021 of 4031
Subject: Re: Need a stronger wireless signal Date: 9/1/2008 5:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Long story short, I have learned from the local electronics store expert that I either need a wireless router signal repeater or a new router. The router is cheaper, which is of course what the bar owner wants. Problem is I will have to continue to utilize the modem in the AT&T provided router while disabling the router and then installing the new router.

You have me lost as to why you can't simply replace the router. We've done that several times - and we have ATT.
Kathleen

Author: dbrudos One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4022 of 4031
Subject: Re: Need a stronger wireless signal Date: 9/30/2008 3:47 PM
Well...unlike my home AT&T service that has a DSL modem that they provided and then the separate wireless router that I set up myself, for the pub AT&T provided a combination DSL modem/wireless router. I tried shopping for those and it looks like they are not sold in stores, only by AT&T (or whatever internet provider for that matter).

I did go and get a LinkSys router and just tried to plug it into the LAN port on the back of the AT&T modem/router and my computer didn't recognize the new LinkSys.

I will try to connect to the AT&T modem/router and disable the router making it more of a traditional separate DSL modem and wireless router combination.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement