Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: cable666 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 55805  
Subject: Need breakfast recipies Date: 1/10/2002 7:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Help!

I've convinced the cook at my local little breakfast spot to make me my favorite American breakfast, but she needs the receipe.

I want what is often called in the US "The Denny's Grand Slam Breakfast"... French toast, scambled eggs, sauage, and hash browns.

They have never heard of hash browns of french toast here in Western Australia. So... can anyone help me? I can't even buy frozen hash browns at the grocery store.

So I need to know how to make french toast and hash browns. I know the basics, bread and potatoes. After that I'm lost.

In case you are curious, a West Australian breakfast is...

- Two huge strips of undercooked bacon
- A large peice of sausage
- scrambeled eggs
- A stewed tomato
- Cooked mushrooms
- A glass of Mango/OJ juice.

Which I'm kind of tired of....

Cheers..
Print the post Back To Top
Author: rgood Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19579 of 55805
Subject: Re: Need breakfast recipies Date: 1/10/2002 7:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
"So I need to know how to make french toast and hash browns. "

the hash browns are easy. peel a potato, shred it, place in hot pan with butter. i try to make mine look like a small cake that's brown on each side.

for the french toast, this one is good:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=14440184

follow the thread for many other french bread recipes :)

Author: rgood Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19580 of 55805
Subject: Re: Need breakfast recipies Date: 1/10/2002 7:57 PM
errr, i meant french toast recipes.

Author: LxLuthor Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19581 of 55805
Subject: Re: Need breakfast recipies Date: 1/10/2002 9:32 PM
cable666 writes:

I want what is often called in the US "The Denny's Grand Slam Breakfast"... French toast, scambled eggs, sauage, and hash browns.

While what you describe is a classic American breakfast, the Denny's Grand Slam consists of:

2 pancakes
2 eggs (any style)
2 strips of bacon
2 sausage links

There are other variations (e.g., the All-American Slam, the Lumberjack Slam, Moons Over My Hammy, inter alia) that contain other ingredients. Both the International Slam and the French Slam contain French toast.

Lx.

P.S. I don't work for Denny's or anything, but I finished off a lot of late-night study sessions there.

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19585 of 55805
Subject: Re: Need breakfast recipies Date: 1/10/2002 10:40 PM
So I need to know how to make french toast and hash browns.

French Toast
4 slices bread (Best made with stale bread)
2-3 eggs (depending on size)
1-2 tablespoons milk or light cream
dash cinnamon
dash sugar
dash of nutmeg if desired
butter
Beat eggs together, add a dash of cinnamon (if using nutmeg, add that also), and sugar, and beat some more. Add milk, and beat together. Heat frying pan and add butter. Pour mixture into a shallow dish and soak bread in it. Place bread in frying pan and brown on both sides. Serve with warmed maple syrup.
(I don't know if you are able to get real maple syrup (not the fake stuff) in your area. If you are not able to, these folks at the bottom do a wonderful mail order of assorted maple products. Maple butter is wonderful on french toast.)
Hash Browns
1 large potato, shredded or julienned
handful of chopped onions
butter
Heat pan and add butter. Place potatoes and onions in pan and brown. Serve with French toast.
Sunnyside Maples
(603)267-8217
Fax (603)267-6457
RFD 8, Box 261
Loudon, NH 03301
ssmaples@worldpath.net

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19586 of 55805
Subject: Re: Need breakfast recipies Date: 1/10/2002 10:48 PM
From Tom Fitzmorris, New Orleans restaurant critic and author, “Menu Letter” from 6 or 5 years ago;

Lost Bread (Pain Perdu)

Pain perdu," as the Old Creoles like my mother called it, got its name from its use of day-old stale French bread. Lost for most purposes to which French bread is usually put, these crusts are soaked in eggs and milk, fried or grilled, and served for breakfast. It is, you've noticed, quite like French toast, except that lost bread tends to be a good deal richer. No lost bread I have ever tasted in a restaurant was anything like the lost bread I ate as a child. My mother used white sliced bread, soaked it in custard until it was almost falling apart, and then deep-fried it. The most outstanding characteristic of this stuff is its oozy richness. It is not oily in any way.

Ingredients:
4 eggs
8 slices stale white bread (preferably sliced thick) cut in half OR 12 slices of stale French bread
2 Tbs. sugar
1 Tbs. vanilla extract
1/2 cup half-and-half
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 dashes nutmeg
1 cup vegetable oil

1. In a wide bowl (a soup dish is perfect), beat the eggs while adding the sugar, vanilla, cream, cinnamon, and nutmeg, until all ingredients (especially the cinnamon) are blended in.

2. Soak the slices of bread in the egg custard.

3. Heat the oil in a large black iron skillet to about 350 degrees. Lower two pieces of soaked bread one at a time into the oil and fry about two minutes on each side. Let it cook to a darker brown than your instincts might tell you.

4. Remove the lost bread as it's cooked, and drain it on paper towels. Use another towel to blot the excess oil from the top. Meanwhile, continue cooking the rest of the bread in small batches, allowing the temperature of the oil to recover between batches.

5. Serve immediately with powdered sugar, honey, or syrup. (Warn your guests about the lava-like heat of the insides!)

Serves four.

For “American“ French bread you beat eggs with milk, dip slices of white bread (Wonder bread)in the mixture and fry in oil or butter as above. Since the white bread used doesn't have a hard crust, you only dip the bread into the egg/milk mixture – don't soak it.

Hash browned potatoes (northern US) were usually made with boiled potatoes that were shredded and refried in a grill using vegetable oil (we would dip the spatula into the oil in the French fryer to oil the grill). We would put a handfull or two of shredded potatoes on the grill, use the spatula to form it into a rough rectangle maybe 4 or 3 inches by about 6 inches. Press them down into a compact mass maybe 3/8 of an inch thick adding more oil (from the fryer). When it was slightly brown on the bottom, we would slip the spatula under the potatoes and roll the whole mass over. I haven't made them (or even had them) since the 1960s.

C.J.V.

Author: paulso One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19594 of 55805
Subject: Re: Need breakfast recipies Date: 1/11/2002 12:07 PM
IMHO, the best hashbrowns are made with a left over baked potato. It must be cold to shred well (peel first). I like it fried in butter. Just make a loose patty or two from the shredded potato and brown it on each side. I don't like onion in mine, but you might.

J

Author: cable666 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19615 of 55805
Subject: Re: Need breakfast recipies Date: 1/11/2002 10:47 PM
Thank you everyone. I'll let you know how she does.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement