UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: goohsmom Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 128220  
Subject: Need freezer help Date: 12/8/2002 3:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
(Cross posted on LBYM board)

I hope someone out here can help me with this today. We have a Kenmore upright freezer that, apparently, was plugged into an outlet that conked out. Found out this morning, ran an extension cord from a working outlet, plugged it in and it started right up. Nothing looked too bad in there, even though it had been without power for 3 days. Okay, so far, so good.

Went downstairs to check laundry and get some stuff out for lunch, and the compressor isn't running, nor is the fan running. The freezer is still getting power, but outside of the light, nothing's happening.

I've checked on the Kenmore site, and posted this question to two of the appliance sites, but it being Sunday I thought I might get a quicker response from here. Luckily DH will be home late tonight and off tomorrow, so he can do whatever repairs are needed. I'm thinking it's a small part called the overload relay, but not sure how to go about testing, or if this makes sense.

TIA for your help

Pam
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jiml8 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29668 of 128220
Subject: Re: Need freezer help Date: 12/8/2002 3:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I've checked on the Kenmore site, and posted this question to two of the appliance sites, but it being Sunday I thought I might get a quicker response from here. Luckily DH will be home late tonight and off tomorrow, so he can do whatever repairs are needed. I'm thinking it's a small part called the overload relay, but not sure how to go about testing, or if this makes sense.

Hard question to answer without being there and looking at it. Having neither the fan nor the compressor sounds to me like something other than the overload relay (which is a thermal limiter that would shut off the compressor). I would start with the thermostat.

Author: goohsmom Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29673 of 128220
Subject: Re: Need freezer help Date: 12/8/2002 4:47 PM
Thanks, do thermostats really go out that quickly? I didn't realize.

Pam

Author: Gnordo Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29696 of 128220
Subject: Re: Need freezer help Date: 12/9/2002 9:13 AM
Thermostats, in my experience, are likely to fail more often then any other component. For example, I have a 40 year old refrigerator, and per my records have replaced the thermostat 4 times to date.
The next highest component failure has been the condenser fan, of which there have been two replacements in that same period of time.
Any other disabling component failures have been only one time in this period. ......Gnordo

Author: boqueto One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29712 of 128220
Subject: Re: Need freezer help Date: 12/9/2002 2:07 PM
Pam

Have you noticed if the relay by the compressor is clicking? When the relay goes bad it usually means the compressor is weak and causes the relay to go out. You can purchase was is called a hard start kit that is a solid state relay and it takes the place of the relay and overload. This is kind of like putting paddles on your heart. It will either start the compressor or not. You could have a bad thermostat too. If you only have two wires on this part, you can hook the two wires together for just a minute and see if the freezer comes on. If it does, then you need a thermostat. You might also check the power cord to make sure it does not have a short in it. If the outlet went bad while you had the freezer plugged in, it might have shorted out the cord. Good luck.

Boqueto

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement