UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: jm4t Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76397  
Subject: Need Help badly Date: 4/18/2000 12:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am a graduate student making some money on royalities on a book of which I am a co-editor. I've been filing Schedule C (as self-employed) for the last two tax years. My wife, who is the main breadwinner for now, has a 403b. I've been thinking of setting up a Keogh for myself. But since my earnings are pretty meager (about $1,500 per year) and since they are not very reliable, I wonder if my wife could set up a Spousal IRA on my behalf instead. But the problem is: I make more than the $250 limit, which as far as I know disqualifies me for a Spousal IRA. Are there any other retirement plan options for me, short of investing in non-IRA taxable mutual funds or stocks? Or am I missing something here? Advise greatly appreciated.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jrr7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21321 of 76397
Subject: Re: Need Help badly Date: 4/18/2000 1:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Actually, jm4t, the law was changed -- there is no $250 limit anymore. As long as your wife has more than $4000 in earned income, you can open an IRA (regular or Roth) and contribute $2000 of her income. (She can even open a Roth IRA for herself!) I don't think the term "spousal IRA" is used anymore, but I might be wrong.

Author: jm4t Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21323 of 76397
Subject: Re: Need Help badly Date: 4/18/2000 1:17 PM
That's great news. Any idea where to get this updated info. At the IRS website, perhaps?

Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21327 of 76397
Subject: Re: Need Help badly Date: 4/18/2000 1:55 PM
Jm4t asks:

<<Any idea where to get this updated info. At the IRS website, perhaps?>>

You will find it in IRA Publication 590 (Individual Retirement Arrangements) available at http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/prod/forms_pubs/index.html. Also, check out our IRA area at http://www.fool.com/money/allaboutiras/allaboutiras.htm.

Regards..Pixy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement