Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: learningoldfool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19483  
Subject: Need help in investing inheritence Date: 4/24/2000 4:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm 64 & just inherited $10000.00. That with an IRA (move with market CD's) $14000.00 is all I have for retirement, as I have limited income & don't see a change. What would be best way to go with the $10000.00? Some say Vanguard500 & some say mix with bonds. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: WauseonFox Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3666 of 19483
Subject: Re: Need help in investing inheritence Date: 4/24/2000 7:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Learningoldfool:

One idea would be to start with answering: What do I need/want this money to do for me?" If you need income this and immediately subsequent years, and that is the 'bar none' top priority; you may want to consider an immediate annuity. On the other hand, if your income is sufficient and your greatest concern is not suffering the slings and arrows of outragous fortune (like inflation); you may want to consider a vehicle that reflects growth. One example would be an index stock fund.

Further items to consider would be the degree of volatility you can handle and still sleep comfortably. Hope this helps. All the best!

--WauseonFox--

Author: learningoldfool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3725 of 19483
Subject: Re: Need help in investing inheritence Date: 4/26/2000 8:57 PM
Thanks for your help. I guess I didn't make myself to clear. I am very new to all of this. I am planning on long term investing. Considering Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund (VITSX), Vanguard Total Bond MarketIndex Fund (VBMFX)& Vanguard Total Stock Market Index(VTSMX).Not sure on amounts & if I am missing something or better to only have VTSMX. I'm still researching. Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks again for your help.

Author: rjm1 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3728 of 19483
Subject: Re: Need help in investing inheritence Date: 4/26/2000 9:43 PM
Thanks for your help. I guess I didn't make myself to clear. I am very new to all of this. I am planning on long term investing. Considering Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund (VITSX), Vanguard Total Bond MarketIndex Fund (VBMFX)& Vanguard Total Stock Market Index(VTSMX).Not sure on amounts & if I am missing something or better to only have VTSMX. I'm still researching. Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks again for your help.

Bond fund can lose money and are not great for long term investments. However, part of your money in fixed income is a conservative way to go.

Not knowing about you I would make sure I had an emergency fund invested in a money market account or CD's. Then assuming the balance is long term, over 5 years, I would go with a stock index fund. You could pick two or three funds and divide the money equally. Vanguard is a good fund group.

Author: WauseonFox Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3729 of 19483
Subject: Re: Need help in investing inheritence Date: 4/26/2000 10:07 PM
Learningoldfool:

Your posting is fine, message received.

My response (#3666) gave you some options dependent on what you were earmarking this money to do. Rfm had some valid input, especially addressing the need for emergency funds.

What do you need this money to do for you?

--WauseonFox--

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement