Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Probably asking after the fact. WE owned a house we used to live in. Adult son & wife moved in and were to buy the house within year. They were making the mortgage payment. They never did put the house in their name. After 6 years, values went up on real estate. We decided we needed to sell the house & get some $$ ready for retirement. They then claimed we GAVE the house to them ( we didn't). Since it had been 6 years, we are in line to pay capital gains now. Plus, they were demanding $90K to leave the property. We settled on $40,000. We never did depreciate the property and they took the deduction each year. We refinanced so their payment was much less than rent would have been. They are wanting their portion of the payout to be tax-free. It's just a big mess and adult children are not speaking to us at this point. WE have 6 other children and we don't just go around giving away houses. Any ideas from anyone on how to reduce the capital gains on this property which has always been in our name? Thanks.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.