Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: bigcaat Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 21960  
Subject: Need Help w/Point&Shoot Date: 12/27/2012 9:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi.

I got a Sony DSC-HX10V Point and Shoot for Christmas:
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/sony-cyber-shot-dsc/...

I wanted something small for my purse so I wouldn't always have to be taking pics with my phone when I don't have a larger camera with me. But this seems a bit larger and heavier than others. I know that's because it's got a 16x optical zoom and no touchscreen to it.

I could exchange it for two other cameras:
Canon Elph 530 HS
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/canon-powershot-elph...

Or

Nikon Coolpix s6400
http://www.cnet.com.au/nikon-coolpix-s6400_specs-339342233.h...

I'm at a loss. I like the idea of a long zoom, these other 2 are 12x, which seem pretty good, they also have touchscreens, which seem logical in this day and age; AND they are smaller and lighter.

The Sony, OTOH, seems to have a pretty good sensitivity for low-light with a 30 sec max shutter opening for low-light situations.

Eventually, I want to get the Canon Rebel T3i, but right now, this is a gift and would be nice to have something a little more versatile than my iPhone, with certainly more room, but that takes photos good enough to enlarge. I do want it to be pretty compact, however. I also cannot figure out if any of them take RAW. I'm accustomed to doing that with my old Canon G3.

Do any of you have any input on any of this?

Thanks much,
Caat
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20913 of 21960
Subject: Re: Need Help w/Point&Shoot Date: 12/27/2012 9:26 PM
Recommendations: 2
Try not to base your decision on the long zoom. A tiny camera that has to be
held at arms length to compose is already predisposed to movement during
exposure, and using it at anything like 12-16X is just asking to multiply your trouble.

~aj

Author: canonian Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20915 of 21960
Subject: Re: Need Help w/Point&Shoot Date: 12/29/2012 9:41 AM
Recommendations: 1
I have the Sondy DSC-HX10V and just got the HX30V. They are one hell of a camera! The photos print great up to 8.5x11 and even 11x17 looks good. The video is astonishing from the little puppy, and the 10v/20v/30v focus incredibly fast and shutter lag is DSLR like (no kidding). The scene recognition is great, the camera will most always tell if the photo is back lit, portrait, landscape and make in camera adjustments for you.

Anyway if the size and weight REALLY bother you go ahead and get something else because in the end having the camera with you is of utmost importance.

As to what AvgJoe said about zoom I would typically agree but the 3 was image stabilization Sony has allows for 20x, and clear zoom 40x photos! I don't know what tricks are in the camera but hand held 20x is very doable.

As you can tell I am a huge fan of this camera.

I uploaded this gallery showing some of what it can do. All taken with the older x9v
http://www.pbase.com/davekone/dschx9v

Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20917 of 21960
Subject: Re: Need Help w/Point&Shoot Date: 12/30/2012 12:10 PM
Recommendations: 1
Do any of you have any input on any of this?

The most critical, important question you can ask is: what are you trying to take pictures OF? Where? In what circumstances?

You said: I wanted something small for my purse so I wouldn't always have to be taking pics with my phone when I don't have a larger camera with me.

So what are you usually taking pictures OF? What about the way the phone camera pictures come out is frustrating you?

Are you usually indoors? Outside? Things that are moving? Or very still? With flash? Without? Are you taking pictures, say, of food (good macro, low light), or of landscapes (wider angle, natural light?)

You also seem to like the touchscreens, but not sure why this is important to you... how much do you fiddle around with the settings, and for what reasons? Would simply having a couple of custom settings but no touchscreen matter?

May I recommend (strongly) DPReview?

For example, here's a camera feature search of compact cameras that can shoot RAW:

http://www.dpreview.com/products/search/cameras#criterias=Sp...

Of course, that'll depend on your budget too.

GSF

Author: canonian Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20920 of 21960
Subject: Re: Need Help w/Point&Shoot Date: 1/1/2013 9:00 AM
Recommendations: 3
I'm at a loss. I like the idea of a long zoom, these other 2 are 12x, which seem pretty good, they also have touchscreens, which seem logical in this day and age; AND they are smaller and lighter.

Cameras without touch screens are the norm in this day and age.

Besides (maybe) selecting a focus point, a touch screen on a camera does not make sense. When you hold a camera up to take a photo (P&S), trying to play with the touchscreen while using it to frame your photo would be cumbersome. Having buttons on the body where your fingers land while holding the camera makes a lot more sense. Your fingers are "already there" to press them as needed. Having the physical feedback of the buttons is great. Most P&S cameras people leave it in auto mode and never press a button besides taking a photo.

Kinda reminds me of when my newer supposedly better cell phone moved the physical shutter button from the edge of the phone where my index finger would rest (perfect) while holding the phone, to the touchscreen on the back. Now to take a photo I am trying to use my thumb or opposite hand and moving the entire phone while trying to go click. I have gotten better at it, but myself and many people I know (of all ages) hate having the shutter button on the touchscreen.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement