UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: xSixSigmaMBB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10547  
Subject: Need ideas Date: 11/9/2012 12:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
This past summer, Mrs. xSSMBB and I bought a new home (well, new to us anyways) and one of the perks is that I get to build my "home theater" into the Family Room. More like a good TV with in ceiling surround and no cables strung all over.

To do this we've furred out an exterior wall and I pulled new electric, speaker wires, network and 2 High Speed HDMI cables to run from where the TV will be mounted on the wall above the fireplace to the 2 gang wall panel where the equipment will live.

Here's my problem:
Coming to the 2 gang wall plate is 2 HDMI cables, 5 sets of speaker wires and 2 Cat6 network cables. The HDMI and Cat6 were to go to a Keystone style outlet. I've got a 2 gang plate that will house the speaker connections via a banana plug outlet on one side and the HDMI / Cat 6 on the other.

Perfectly thought out... or so I thought.

The HDMI cables are pretty thick and not able to bend at the angle I need to get them connected to the keystone plugs at the wall plate. I purchased from Monoprice 2 flexible adjustable connectors to take the angle out. Tried installing them last night and managed to break them both while trying to get everything into the wall so that I could button it up.

So now I'm back to square one and come looking for ideas.

I've already sheet rocked, taped & textured and painted these walls so tearing them out and starting over will cause me to be sleeping in the barn with our owls... not an option.

The wall is furred out 1 1/2" (a 2x4 on face) with block wall behind and about 9 to 12" or so left to right. You can see a photo of the cables coming down the wall here: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/SNsAqEO9cN3yWtHG9x0aEd... Sorry for the bad picture.

Any suggestions for how I can keep this in wall or am I going to have to build out a little box for this?

xSSMBB
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement