No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi fellow fools - any help would be much appreciated. Here's my story - My wife works for a Canadian company (she works in the US). She makes around $40,000 per year and until now has not had any kind of retirement plan from her company. What the owner has offered is that they will match any contribution to a retirement plan up to 5% of her annual salary but the company does not want to do any kind of work as far as recordkeeping/tax reporting/set-up for her retirement plan. The company will pay the match to her as regular salary (with some extra so that she will clear the 5% after taxes)only after she shows proof that she has deposited her 5% to a retirement plan. She must then show proof that she deposited the matching portion towards a retirement plan. We have already been depositing the $2,000 annual amount to a Roth IRA for her so there's no problem with her providing proof of deposit for her portion. The company's matching portion (5% of $40,000 = $2000)which we need to show proof of deposit to a retirement plan is what we're not sure what to do with. I'm not sure what the rules are for a non-deductible IRA - Is it allowable to contribute to a traditional non-deductible IRA if you have made a $2,000 contribution to a Roth in the same year? If this is not an option I'm open for any suggestions/alternatives. If congress would just bump the Roth deposit limit to $5,000 from $2,000 it sure would make our life easier. Thank you in advance for your foolish input.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement