UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: hunnypot1 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 883701  
Subject: Need LBYM Wine Suggestion Date: 11/21/2011 3:38 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I do not drink wine, but cook with it. Whenever I have to buy a wine, I get all flustered about it. Please help me make a good choice.

I am making a brazed short rib recipe for our pre-Thanksgiving celebration, and it calls for about 6 cups of cabernet sauvignon (tripling recipe, feeding 15 people - must buy 2 bottles of wine). I noted the sales at our local store and will list my options below. I am trying to stay around $10 per bottle, but less would be nice.

Unless noted, all wines are dated 2009

Woodbridge by Robert Mondavi $5.98

Blackstone $7.98

Dancing Bull $6.98

BV Coastal Estates $7.98

Toasted Head $9.98

Southern Hills $8.98

Redwood Creek $5.98

Ravens Wood 2008 $7.98

Ironstone $6.98

Smoking Loon $5.98

Vintage Ink 2008 $10.98

Forest Ville 2010 $3.50

Matthew Fox $3.50

Sutter Home 2010 $3.50

Mirassou 2010 (didn't mark down price...)

Turning Leaf 2010 $4.98

I have also been told Trader Joe's has a cabernet that is about $5.00. I will be down below Tuesday, and could stop by...but it would be an extra stop.

Costco has their Kirkland brand for $12.99. That place will be a zoo on Tuesday...I will go if it is really worthwhile to do so ...but really prefer not to.

So, if you were buying a wine for this recipe, which one would you choose?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement