Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Lurker1999 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6725  
Subject: Need portfolio advice Date: 3/21/2004 9:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'll soon be in the position to roll my 401k over to an IRA and need to figure out where to put it.

Percentages are of the total portfolio value

401k:
Dreyfus S&P 500 Index fund (PEOPX) 34.4%

Roth:
Dodge & Cox Income fund (DODIX) 6.2%
Dodge & Cox Balanced fund (DODBX)2.2%

Taxable:
Mairs & Power Growth fund (MPGFX) 3.4%
Dodge & Cox Stock fund (DODGX) 26.9%
Vanguard Total Stock index fund (VTSMX) 25.4%
Cisco (CSCO) 1.5%

I don't/won't/can't pick individual stocks. My Cisco holding is to remind me of that. It's up 67.9% for the past year but down a total of 68.5% since purchase! I plan to retire in just under 40 years and do not plan to use any of these holdings for purchases before retirement.

I've thought about the Roth holdings (won't be eligible for a Roth for much longer) and will likely leave them as is with future contributions going to DODBX instead of switching both funds to their Vanguard index equivalents. The way I interpret the Vanguard website even with the higher expense ratio DODIX approximates the return of VBMFX and I don't have to deal with the confusing little Vanguard blurbs about fees here and there. The same goes for DODBX vs. VBINX. Comments on this approach are of course appreciated.

Regarding the 401k I would like to roll that over to a low-cost index of some type. Should I open another VTSMX position? Should I split the holding into a domestic fund plus an international index fund/REIT index fund for diversification? After "taking control" of my finances during the wild ride of 2000 that's still left me about $14,000 in the hole I prefer a moderate risk approach to investing.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Name of the Game: Tax Avoidance
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement