Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: phojo416 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 294  
Subject: Need some expertise... am I on the right track? Date: 8/23/2008 3:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi there,

Really enjoying the site, trying to get to grips with understanding investing better!

I would really appreciate overall help… and with a specific issue with an annuity situation.

I am a 42 year old woman who lives with my significant other in his house and pays half the expenses. After being injured in the work place about 2 years ago, II am receiving LT disability which amounts to nearly $3000 per month after tax.

I’d appreciate a second opinion on my situation from all of you financial wizards out there!

At my bank, I have a CD worth about $30,300 that’s just about to mature, plus savings (from a backdated disability payment) of about $43,000. I also have a small 401(k) with my ex-employer worth about $5800 that I want to move to Fidelity.

At Fidelity, I have an Individual Brokerage Account comprised of 4 mutual funds currently worth $28,228.96. I have a small Roth IRA at Fidelity, currently worth $4,567.26.

With $250,000 that was left to me recently, I went into Fidelity and talked with my advisor. I put $175,000 in CDs (3-Month CD for $57,000 at 2.65%; another 3-Month CD for $43,000 at 2.6% ; a 6-Month CD for $50,000 at 3.0%; and a 12-Month CD for $25,000 at 3.60%).

I also put $25,000 Fidelity Select Money Market Fund.

Because I have no “earned income” since I stopped working due to disability, I am not eligible for The Motley Fool’s more highly regarded tax-deferred products like IRA’s and 401(k)’s, so the advisor recommended a deferred variable annuity for the remaining $50,000 of the $250,000. He said it’s because I don’t have enough risk and am not growing anything for retirement. I need to just put something away and leave it. I don’t disagree with this, but I have a feeling annuities aren’t for me.

I got into this a few weeks ago and am still in the “free look” period, with a couple of days to go before it’s final. I think, having read a lot on TMF about annuities AFTER I got into it, that I have changed my mind, in spite of Fidelity’s being one of the better annuity products out there. I’ve learned a lot about the penalties of early withdrawal, plus the income tax one pays compared to capital gains taxes on other investments in the long term. I don’t like how you can lose the whole thing if you die when the money has been annuitized and your heirs get nothing. Also, the state of Maine takes 2% out of the gate as soon as you invest in a variable annuity! On the upside, Fidelity has no surrender fees and very low annual fees of 0.25%. They also do not work on commission.

Being a little more in the know now, I’m wondering whether placing that $50,000 elsewhere would generate that same growth, even with the ups and downs of the market, left long enough I think the growth could be the same. Stocks? Mutual funds? Index funds? There’s a lot of that type of comment on TMF. I can also develop liquidity while I decide what I want to do. I may take some time to travel after a stressful time with lawyers recently due to the injury… not sure I will even retire in the US as I’m a dual citizen with family in the UK.

One more point: In addition, I will shortly be receiving a settlement for my injuries of around $105,000. I want to probably put that in laddered CD’s (1 to 5 years maybe) until I know where life will be taking me.

The annuity issue is the big one for me right now but I’d really welcome comments on my overall financial situation. I am a beginner in all of this. Thanks for reading!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement