Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Okay all you savy tax experts and former divorcees, I need some good advice.

Situation: Separated 2.5 years, ex-wife has been on Workmen's Comp (total disability which is a total ruse by the way to all you hard working tax payers supporting people like her) for the entire year 2000. I have 3 kids. 6 year old lived with her the whole time, the two oldest lived with me since Mid-June with the oldest being 21 and a full-time college student. During the this time I paid ALL of the first and second mortgages and associated interest. Bottomline, the ex wants to do an Earned Income Credit and or a 50/50 split and I don't think that is fair at all.

Question: what would be best filing status for me to protect all the income tax I paid and make sure the most gets returned to the rightful owner (me) and not to the non-working pantload ex since she never paid a dime in taxes all year via Workmans Comp???

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.