Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (40) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: DBAVelvet74 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 82230  
Subject: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/8/2010 12:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I got a hankerin' for ribs, and didn't get any last weekend, so I got some yesterday. Gonna cook 'em this weekend.

Just need some ideas.

I prefer to do them on the grill, keeping the stove/oven out of commision to keep the heat outside.

Rubs? Marinades? I've seen some recipes that have you boil the ribs with some aromatics before putting them on the grill. Am I missing something wonderful if I go with a recipe that doesn't have that step?

I prefer a dry rib that is moist and flavorful, but not dripping with sauce.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: JGBFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72275 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/8/2010 12:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I would avoid using any methods that involve boiling. A lot of the flavor goes into the water when you do that.
As for rubs, some folks like ones with only 2 or 3 ingredients, but this more-complex one that I devised is utterly amazing:
http://www.bbqfools.com/JGBFool.php#HeavenlyDevilishMulti-Me...
(It was originally called "Heavenly Devilish Rib Rub", but I've found it goes well on chicken and beef also.)

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72276 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/8/2010 1:33 PM
I've seen some recipes that have you boil the ribs with some aromatics before putting them on the grill.

Heaven forbid!! To make them tender, however, be sure to pull the membrane off the bone side - Slip a table knife between the membrane and a bone on the back and lift to loosen it. Then grab this "flap" with a paper towell and pull. It should pull right off.

Bob

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72278 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/8/2010 2:10 PM
Recommendations: 2
Boat great answers from JBGFool and NOIDATALL, yes. Da only time dat I boils ribs be when day be so tough dat day is only good fur makin pig stock outa. As fur rubs, I use my Butt Rub #1 on my ribs too.

Butt Rub #1

2 oz Tony's Creole Seasoning
1/2 oz BBQ Grind Black Pepper
1/2 oz Granulated Garlic
1/4 oz Granulated Onion
1 oz Sweet Paprika
1 oz Dark Brown Sugar

In later versions of the rub, I use “Sugar in the Raw” instead of the brown sugar. I’ll usually smoke dem bones in my ECB-type smoker over pecan wood at a temperature between 260 and 225 degrees fur 3 1/2 or 3 hours. After dat, I’ll brush dem wid some “Sweet Baby Rays Sauce” (I likes dare Raspberry Chipotle Sauce, me), wrap dem in aluminum foil and give dem a udder hour or so back in da smoker at round 225 or 220 degrees. I don’t bother finishing dem on da grill because we likes dem a tad bit “wet”, us.
;-)

C.J.V. - usta add strained raspberry jam & jalapeno extract to da original “Rays Sauce”, me

Author: AlsoChorizo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72279 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/8/2010 3:08 PM
Recommendations: 3
Instead of boiling them, you can place a pan of water under grate to make them moist and tender.

AC *works best in a gas grill*

Author: Fool2Believe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72280 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/8/2010 3:46 PM
I only ever cook ribs on a smoker, but you can mimic that process fairly well on a gas or charcoal grill.

I can't vouch for this recipe, but the cooking technique in the steps is what you're after:

http://www.bbqu.net/season3/307_4.html#dry_ribs

Here are descriptions of the indirect cooking method and smoking on a grill:

http://www.bbqu.net/smoking4.html

http://www.bbqu.net/direct4.html

ƒ2ß

Author: jamesmw Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72283 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/8/2010 4:05 PM
2.2.1 method
2 hours in the smoke no sauce
2 hours wrapped in foil with apple juice
1 hour on the grill painting with sauce

Author: jamesmw Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72284 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/8/2010 4:07 PM
http://www.amazingribs.com/index.html

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72286 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/8/2010 10:09 PM
2 oz Tony's Creole Seasoning
1/2 oz BBQ Grind Black Pepper
1/2 oz Granulated Garlic
1/4 oz Granulated Onion
1 oz Sweet Paprika
1 oz Dark Brown Sugar

I like more brown sugar than that, maybe up to 1/4 cup, but that's just a personal preference. I've never tried Tony's Creole Seasoning and don't know if it's carried locally. I often use a bit of chili powder and just a little bit of cayenne pepper. 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper goes a long way for me. Up to 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder would probably work ok. I've found it's easier to add more of a single ingredient than it is to take away or to adjust to taste with more of the other ingredients... just take it slow and adjust to what you like.

A grill temp of 225 to 235 degrees F is ideal throughout the smoking/cooking process. 250 degrees is starting to get overly hot. I usually don't cook back ribs as long as I do spare ribs, as they're leaner and have less fat than spare ribs. Wrapping the ribs in foil for a couple of hours after they've smoked for a couple of hours is a very good idea, will make the ribs tender and help pull some of the rub ingredients into the meat, while keeping them from drying out and charring... like a homemade pressure cooker of sorts, using the juices in the meat and fat for steam, rather than water.

I usually start out with a few handfuls of Apple wood chips, if using charcoal, or a smoker box full or a few handfuls of Apple chips wrapped in Aluminum foil with a 1/4" to 1/2" hole poked in one side facing up if you're using a ga$ grill, or just prefer to use the box or AL foil pouch on top of charcoal. I only add Apple chips for smoke one time - That's enough for some added flavor w/o overpowering the meat with smoke. Don't add water/soak the Apple chips - Use them dry only.

Using a water pan under the meat is a verry good idea. Sometimes I've mixed a bit of cider vinegar with 2 or 3 cloves of mashed garlic, or you could mix apple juice with the water. I think Apple flavors and aromas go well with pork.

i like to mix some ketchup, sometimes a bit of brown sugar depending on my sweet tooth at the time, with a mild BBQ sauce, such Maul's Sweet-n-Mild or Sweet Baby Rays. Sometimes I've added a bit of Merlot wine or a bit of beer. At other times, I've added a bit of soy sauce, some minced garlic and some chopped chives, if I feel like more of an Asian flavor - depends on what you like, or don't. Personally, I don't care for the acidity in many BBQ sauces straight up - YMMV, and likely, as not, will.

FWIW,
Bob

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72287 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/8/2010 10:46 PM
I usually don't cook back ribs as long as I do spare ribs, as they're leaner and have less fat than spare ribs.

Generally, I prefer smoking spare ribs to back ribs, as I can get them to come out more tender and juicy, get a better smoke ring on them and they yield more meat to eat. Last week I bought 3 racks of back ribs @ around $6.50/rack, which was pretty hard to pass up when spare rib racks were going for almost double the price (per rack, though not quite that much difference per pound.) The back ribs turned out pretty well and I will probably smoke the last of the 3 tomorrow, my 61st birthday, or perhaps this weekend.

Bob

Author: Fool2Believe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72288 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/9/2010 8:03 AM
Happy Birthday, Bob!

I'll take spare ribs trimmed St Luis style over back ribs any day too. When I do have to make them, I smoke back ribs 3-4 hours, and spares 5-6.

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72289 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/9/2010 10:04 AM
Happy Birthday, Bob!

Thanks, very much, F2B!! Along the way, I often felt I'd be lucky to make it to 50.

I'll take spare ribs trimmed St Luis style over back ribs any day too. When I do have to make them, I smoke back ribs 3-4 hours, and spares 5-6.

That sounds about right, perhaps shorter than the higher limit, depending on how lean the ribs, how closely you trim the fat and how steadily much above 225 degrees the smoker holds, and longer (to a limit) with more fat on them and a steady smoker temp pegged right at or very close to 225. Slower/longer with more fat tends to turn out better, with more fat rendering more flavor and juicy tenderness into the meat, and a better smoke ring - just trying to help DBAVelvet get as much of a virtual feel for variables as I can...

Because smoker temp, at or close to 225 degrees F, is very significant, testing your smoker thermometer in boiling water is worthwhile - A temperature-adjustable candy thermometer adjusted to 212 degrees F in boiling water should get you very close. You want the dial on the outside of the smoker/grill, of course, and the probe as close to the surface of the cooking grate(s) as you can get it... And, from there, just cook by time and temp, w/o opening the cooker during the long stretches, until it's time to foil, and later baste... As chezjohn and many others have often said, "If you're looking, you're not cooking."

I learned much of this stuff at or from links posted here, so nothing new for most...

A point that I forgot to mention is that I like to roll ribs and peg them with a skewer after I apply a rub to them - good for smoking more racks of ribs on a limited cooking grate area, but I also think that it tends to circulate smoke more evenly on both sides of the ribs - I learned that and some other very worthwhile tips from a link to a site that I also picked up on from this board - This is a direct link to a step-by-step walk through on smoking baby back ribs on a Weber smoker:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/rib1.html

Note that the smoker temperatures in the above link are hotter than I care to use (apparently due to the heat of the sun, according to the narrative), but most of the significantly higher temps were purposely increased during what appears to be a caramelization phase near the end - He didn't apply sauce until after removing the ribs.

I also don't care for the rub recipe, except for maybe a jerky - WAY too much salt and too much cayenne pepper for my pallet, among some other things - I prefer to go pretty sparingly with (granulated) sugar, if at all, and I don't care for MSG... I guess he used granulated sugar to help caramelize the rub near the end but, if you miss, you can pretty easily end up with burnt sugar.

FWIW,
Bob <- glad to be here!!

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72290 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/9/2010 10:36 AM
I also don't care for the rub recipe

I like the Kansas City Rib Rub linked in this post, with a few modifications - mostly 1 teaspoon instead of a tablespoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper instead of 1 teaspoon... and I like a little more brown sugar. Paprika varies from somewhat sweet to more bitter - Adjust to taste:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=28571322

Author: JGBFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72291 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/9/2010 11:15 AM
Happy Birthday Bob/NoIDAtAll!!!

Author: JGBFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72292 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/9/2010 11:18 AM
A point that I forgot to mention is that I like to roll ribs and peg them with a skewer after I apply a rub to them - good for smoking more racks of ribs on a limited cooking grate area, but I also think that it tends to circulate smoke more evenly on both sides of the ribs

I use this method also-- always with the narrower side of the rack of ribs on the "inside" of the roll. (I don't trim my spareribs St. Louis-style, though-- heck, I don't even remove the back membrane before cooking. Maybe I'll try that someday, but not today.)

Author: Fool2Believe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72293 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/9/2010 11:29 AM
I don't even remove the back membrane before cooking

Oh emm geee.

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72295 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/9/2010 12:32 PM
heck, I don't even remove the back membrane before cooking.

Note to self - Call Mz Wiley to whack JGB on da back of his head, for failure to pay attention in class - GEESH!! <g>

Bob

Author: Fool2Believe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72296 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/9/2010 12:38 PM
Even worse than not taking off the membrane is ADMITTING that you don't remove it! (bg)

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72300 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/9/2010 1:25 PM
At other times, I've added a bit of soy sauce, some minced garlic and some chopped chives, if I feel like more of an Asian flavor...

oops - I left out a bit of sesame seed oil... IF you're still keeping track. <g>

Author: DBAVelvet74 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72301 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/9/2010 1:53 PM
I knew I came to the right place :)

I'd found the www.amazingribs.com site as I was looking around yesterday.

I plan to whip up some kind of rub (probably a little mix and match from different recipes bassed on what I've got on hand) and then I'm going to skip the boiling, use the wood chips in foil and a pan of water on my gas grill, and cook em low and slow.

DH is golfing but I said I'd man the grill, and if he's lucky there might be some left when he gets back :)

I'll make sure I know when he's going to be home so I can have the ribs done about 30 min after that. That'll make sure he comes home on time ;)

Author: JGBFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72303 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/9/2010 2:59 PM
Call Mz Wiley to whack JGB on da back of his head, for failure to pay attention in class

Now why would I do something like "pay attention in class" and spoil my perfect record?

Author: JGBFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72304 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/9/2010 3:00 PM
Even worse than not taking off the membrane is ADMITTING that you don't remove it! (bg)

Hey, at least I don't wear orange crocs. No, wait, actually I do.

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72306 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/9/2010 4:34 PM
Besides the Baby Back Ribs, I also pulled a Rolled and Tied Boneless Boston Pork Roast for 25 cents over $5 (not including State Revenuer tax)... to hold a meat thermometer with a wireless remote alarm to wake me up, and to share with customers and potential customers, so I kin write 1/2 of the cost off against income that I earn (or might earn, or maybe not)...

I get more referrals for purchase of insurance, usually at close to, if not the, lowest price in the the area, with BBQ than I get with a canned sales approach, so to speak, and it beats the HECK out of a cold call. ~ ~

Bob

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72307 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/9/2010 5:04 PM
I'm off to the grocery store to pick up some corn, that I'll soak in water, with the husks on, and place on the smoker near the end of the smoke - After trying both ways, I don't think that it is necessary to remove the silk until I remove the husk to eat the corn.

I will also pick up some baby red potatoes - probably boil, peal, loosely chunk, mix with some butter and sprinkle some Basil, and a little pepper and salt on top.

I split a large can of pork and beans last week, stored 1/2 in the frig in a re-used emptied and washed Sherbet container, and will probably heat them up.

Some fresh strawberries over shortcake topped with whipped cream sounds ok for dessert.

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72308 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/9/2010 7:19 PM
I din't git a rise out of that - I switched bakery Butter Croissants and an 8-pack of bakery sesame buns, on which to serve slices of the Q'd boneless Boston pork roast - Better?...

I might also do some King Crab Legs, planked Red Snapper, and also some Chorizo, preferably hot and spicy, wrapped in Romain lettuce, wid some Arugula, purple "sticky" rice and fresh Radish Sprouts.

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72309 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/9/2010 7:32 PM

I checked the site, before you posted, and I was and am impressed - worth looking into.

Bob

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72310 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/9/2010 10:50 PM

That looks like a worthwhile site.

Author: OleDocJ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72311 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/10/2010 7:52 AM
And yet, only a few years ago, you thought ribs should not be "overcooked"!!! You've come a long way, Bob! Congrats! You saw the light!

There ain't no such thing as "medium rare" or "well done" when it comes to cooking ribs! They just gotta be cooked 'til they're done! And, that means cooking them to 195-205*F without drying them out!

OleDoc

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72312 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/10/2010 10:20 AM
How do you take the internal temperature of ribs? All of the meat is pretty thin and almost all of it is next to bone.

This Cooking Time and Temperature chart recommends 1/2 - 2 hours cooking time (seems very short, unless the cooking heat is cranked up to 300+ degrees) and under "Final Internal Temperature (Fahrenheit)" it just says "Tender".
http://www.theotherwhitemeat.com/Resources/Images/2924.pdf

*just wondering*

BTW, OleDoc, the Baby Back Ribs that you smoked and showed some time ago were REALLY impressive - falling from the bone and looked very juicy. Do you still have those pics and, if so, would you mind posting them again for DBAVelvet's benefit, so she can see how really great back ribs look when they're done to perfection?

I was really hoping that you would be available to help guide DBAVelvet before she began the cook, because your posts always add value. I think we all did as well as we could, but now I am wondering how the ribs turned out for DBAVelvet and her family - I hope she posts the results and her and her family's impressions, good or not, and if not maybe why and what they didn't care for and how she might consider doing them differently next time. Barbecuing is an art - I'm not inherently good at art, and input helps a lot.

You've come a long way, Bob!

Yes, I have learned a lot from posters here.

The MAIN issue with which I now contend is staying awake (or waking up) when it's time to pull the Q or move to a different phase in the process (such as foiling and basting or caramelizing.) I bought a Maverick internal meat thermometer with wireless remote with an alarm, but the alarm wasn't loud enough to wake me. *sigh* Next time, which will probably be later this afternoon, I will set my alarm clock, as well... The Baby Back Ribs and Rolled and Tied Boston Pork Roast are seasoned and ready to go when I get off work at 2 this afternoon...

Also, how would you season a Rolled and Tied Boston Pork Roast for smoking? Though I used the same rub that I used on the ribs, I thought about rubbing it with a smashed clove of garlic and just cracking some black pepper over it and sprinkling it with a little salt.

Thanks,
Bob

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72313 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/10/2010 10:23 AM
1/2 - 2

Sorry 1 1/2 - 2

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72314 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/10/2010 10:40 AM
This is the best commercial pork rub I have used:
http://www.theslabs.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&...

They use to post the recipe, but no longer do, and I lost the recipe.

They have also since developed a "Birds & Bones "Stephy Style" Chicken and Rib Rub" that I haven't yet tried.

Author: Fool2Believe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72315 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/10/2010 10:44 AM
I'm a huge fan of all of the Dizzy Pig rubs. I use them on everything.

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/rubs.html

Author: Fool2Believe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72316 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/10/2010 10:51 AM
How do you take the internal temperature of ribs? All of the meat is pretty thin and almost all of it is next to bone.

I call them done when the meat has pulled back about 3/4" on the bone and they pass the "tear test".

From the VWB:

The best way to tell whether your ribs are cooked to perfection is to use the "tear test". Take hold of two adjacent bones toward the middle of the slab and give them a pull. If the meat offers a bit of resistance but then tears easily, you know the ribs are done just right. Other indicators of doneness, such as how far the meat has pulled down the bone or whether a toothpick passes easily through the meat, are not as reliable as the tear test.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/rib4.html

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72317 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/10/2010 11:20 AM
A You Tube presentation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwiTjWBgUy8&feature=relat...

I picked up a bag of Pecan wood chips to use with Apple chips - I'm considering getting some Apple and (maybe, if I like the chips) Pecan chunk wood to use instead of hickory charcoal as a primary source of heat.

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72318 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/10/2010 8:58 PM
The baby back ribs, rolled and tied pork roast and a Red Snapper fillet spinkled with some lemon pepper went on the smoker about 2 1/2 hours ago. The smoker has been running a bit above 230 degrees F. The roast hit 150 degrees internal temp, and I wrapped both the roast and the ribs in foil.

I dumped 2 lbs of baby red potatoes in the smoker's water pan - thinking might as well use the smoker's features, as much as I can...

I pulled and ate a Red Snapper fillet that I sprinkled with lemon pepper and cooked, skin side down, from the smoker and melted some butter with some Cognac added for a dipping sauce - not too bad... I might replace the lemon pepper with a couple of slices of an orange, next time, or maybe wrap it in a Romain lettuce leaf - It was a bit overpowered by the smoke, but certainly wasn't "fishy" in taste.

Author: 34Phantom Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72319 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/11/2010 2:33 AM
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t98/fweidner/IMG_0608.jpg...

Great to read all about ribs! Another great rub is Blue Hogs. If you want fall off the bone use 3-2-1. If you want them like competition then go with the 3-1-1. At lease that has been my experience. Also cook them at 225 to 250 degrees.

Enjoy.

phred

Author: blford Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72322 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/11/2010 8:33 AM
Happy Belated Barfday Bob!! :-)

Bill

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72323 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/11/2010 8:34 AM
The ribs and roast turned out pretty well - I basted both with sauce when the roast hit an internal temp of 150... The internal temperature of the roast rose a lot more quickly and dramatically than I thought it would after wrapping it in aluminum foil. The ribs passed the "pull-apart" test and were very tender, but I still prefer spare ribs over back ribs.

For a sauce, I mixed (approximately) 3/4 of a cup of Maul's Sweet-N-Mild, 1/4 cup of ketchup, 4 tablespoons of brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of Kikkoman's (standard) soy sauce, 2 tablespoon of Dynasty Sesame Seed oil, 1 tablespoon of garlic powder, 1 tablespoon of onion powder and 1 tablespoon of Spice Island's light brown Sesame Seeds - I liked the taste of the sauce very much, but would have used chopped green onions rather than onion powder and smashed and minced garlic cloves instead of garlic powder and maybe lightly roasted the sesame seeds before adding them to the sauce, had I not gotten lazy... The sesame seeds added a somewhat unique appearance (and some flavor) - Chopped chives and minced garlic would have added more to the appearance, and perhaps a bit more flavor... I "stole" the sauce recipe watching my Taiwanese friend, "Sandy", make it some years ago. If you're not allergic to any of the ingredients, it's s pretty unique sauce recipe that I think you will like.

Bob

Author: AlsoChorizo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72332 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/12/2010 10:52 AM
Recommendations: 4
and also some Chorizo, preferably hot and spicy, wrapped in Romain lettuce

Never been wrapped in lettuce...

AC *hmmmm*

Author: blford Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72334 of 82230
Subject: Re: Need some ideas for baby back ribs Date: 7/12/2010 12:11 PM
Never been wrapped in lettuce...

AC

I bet y'all says that to all the guys. <g>

Bill

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (40) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement